Editor’s Note by Ralph Stuart
For niche publications like
Shooting Sportsman, one of the most challenging tasks is to find knowledgeable, articulate writers. Let’s face it: There are plenty of so-called experts out there, but many of them are simply full of hot air—and sound like it. Which is why I am proud to welcome aboard our newest Editor at Large, Gregg Elliott. Gregg is a gun guy and a dogman, and he knows his stuff. He has been writing for us for almost 15 years, and you may have seen his byline on articles like “An Italian Innovation” (Nov/Dec ’18), about visiting the Beretta factory, in Italy.
Gregg grew up hunting ruffed grouse and woodcock in New Hampshire and currently lives outside of Boston with his wife and two pointers. He’s had a lifelong interest in double guns and at one point worked at New England Arms, in Kittery Point, Maine. Today his main gig is in advertising, but he still finds time to hunt throughout New England, with occasional trips to Montana, South Dakota and Wisconsin. He also runs the website dogsanddoubles.com, where he covers the wingshooting and fine-gun scenes and even offers free appraisals of double guns.
We look forward to Gregg’s future contributions and think you’ll agree that his voice is a valuable one.
July/August is our annual “pre-season” issue, in which we offer inspirational articles for the upcoming bird season. Of course, there are plenty of shotgunners who would just as soon break clays as take game so, with that in mind, here is a quick rundown of some fun fall shoots:
• Northern Side by Side Challenge and Expo: August 1 to 4 at Rock Mountain Sporting Clays, in Meshoppen, Pennsylvania. For more information, visit rockmountainclays.com/northern-side-x-side.html.
• Tunnel of Trees Side x Side Tournament: September 6 to 8 at Emmet County Sportsmen’s Club, in Harbor Springs, Michigan. For more information, visit emmettunneloftrees.com.
• Vintage Gunners Cup World Side-by-Side Shotgun & Rifle Championship & Exhibition: September 19 to 21 at Hausmann’s Hidden Hollow Sporting Clays, in Friendsville, Pennsylvania. For more information, visit vintagers.org/VC.
• Orvis Game Fair & Country Sporting Weekends: September 21 & 22 at Sandanona Shooting Grounds, in Millbrook, New York; October 5 & 6 at Hill Country Shooting Grounds, in Blue Ridge Summit, Pennsylvania; and November 2 & 3 at Pursell Farms Shooting Grounds, in Sylacauga, Alabama. For more information, visit orvis.com/gamefair.
• Southern Side by Side Championship & Exhibition, The Fall Classic: October 17 to 20 at Back Woods Quail Club, in Georgetown, South Carolina. For more information, visit southernsidebyside.com/the-fall-classic.
• Kevin’s and Holland & Holland 4th Annual Game Fair: November 7 to 10 at the Greenwood Plantation Campus, in Thomasville, Georgia. For more information, contact [email protected].
Shotgunning’s Class of ’19
The latest & greatest in smoothbores
By Brad Fitzpatrick
Bobs in the Black Belt
A wingshooting weekend at Prairie Wildlife.
By Robert Parvin Williams
Raising the Revenant
The making of Caesar Guerini’s new round-action
By Phil Bourjaily
A few thoughts on the pointer
By Tom Davis
From the Editor
Our new Editor at Large and some fall shoots
Blue grouse, gun books, praise for Chessies and more
Getting a leg up on marking birds
Game & Gun Gazette
The Adams Cup, The Explora, Bertuzzi, Piotti and more
The Krieghoff K-20 Victoria
By Bruce Buck
Gear worth packing for the coming season
By The Editors
To the Point
Getting over—or under or through—those diabolic gates
By Tom Huggler
Great advice for the sporting life
Putting ice chests to the test
By Ralph Stuart
Celebrating shotgunning’s women’s movement
By Chris Batha
From the Bench
A visit with master engraver William Gamradt
By Richard S. Grozik
Clearing up issues around shotshell pressures
By Tom Roster
Tricks for teaching steadiness in young retrievers
By Jessie Richards
On the cover: A Rizzini Regal Extra from Gordy & Sons, photographed by Terry Allen
Additional photos: Bill Buckley; Terry Allen; Chip Laughton