Woodcock Migration ...

Notifications
Clear all

Woodcock Migration Status  

RSS
dam16sxs
(@dam16sxs)
Honorable Member

I hunt regularly in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom and to date have only found what I believe to be local birds, with my setter finding only 2 or 3 birds per day in areas where, during the fall migration in past years we have found a couple of dozen per day.

What has been your experience in your favorite covers so far this season?

Make memories with the young ones in your life - they will call up your spirit after you're gone.

Posted : October 17, 2019 9:11 am
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

dam16sxs,

Because of my open heart surgery I am not in the woods right now, however this is usually when the Woodcock flight starts to arrive in Potter County, Pa.  This year however it has been a little warmer and the flight may not be here yet!

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

[img] [/img]

This post was modified 6 months ago 2 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2019 3:34 pm
dam16sxs liked
thornton
(@thornton)
Famed Member

On Monday, west of here a short piece, we moved 55 woodcock one day....over 4 days, averaged 8 flushes/hour or so.

Less as the week went along.

I believe the flights started a week or two + ago and, in some areas, experience the normally expected fits and starts, from the northern ranges south....affected a bit by the full moon, weather fronts and north winds.

One woodcock breast was truly blood red compared to the more pale majority....was that dark red breast of a migrating woodcock, pumped full of blood from flight? Maybe, I do not know. Fat appeared equal to any mid-october woodcock.

My guess is that woodcock may head up in elevation(relative to area possibilities) to migrate and seek lower ground to rest a spell...again, I have not a clue and am supremely glad that I do not have a clue. Mystery should remain with the bird. Where one looks will determine what one finds, eh?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2019 5:47 pm
dam16sxs
(@dam16sxs)
Honorable Member

Where are you Thornton, if you please?... or what state I should say.

Make memories with the young ones in your life - they will call up your spirit after you're gone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2019 8:58 pm
thornton
(@thornton)
Famed Member

Upper Great Lakes.

Home yesterday, heading back on Sunday....I suspect fewer woodcock present but?????

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 18, 2019 10:11 am
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Prominent Member

@thornton

"Upper Great Lakes" like Ohio/PA/southern or mid MI, etc. or Northern WI/Northern MI/MN?

I'm in northern WI...hard south wind all day today, on top of warm temps...'doodles ain't heading south in this...

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 18, 2019 6:28 pm
thornton
(@thornton)
Famed Member

Before the last few warm-er days, there were a full moon, a NW wind and a weather change.

Some woodcock moved then, imo.

All woodcock en masse?...I would doubt it. The migration seems a period more than an event but, I'm probably wrong.  Reckoning where one is within the period and the funnel is the tough part.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 18, 2019 6:37 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Prominent Member

I agree, I suspect at least some of the local birds went south with those conditions.  I just don't see much movement with current conditions here...that's why I was curious where-ish you were to see if you were experiencing something different.

We've not even seen our first frost yet, unless I missed it...though we had a little snow that melted right away.

We saw 64° yesterday, it's 53° and raining all day, so far today, with little to no wind.

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 19, 2019 1:02 pm
dam16sxs
(@dam16sxs)
Honorable Member

Yesterday morning we had 9 flushes in less than an hour and a half. Last weekend in the same cover we had 2 or 3 flushes. I believe we have some new arrivals. We’re going out in about an hour (8 a.m. EST) to the same cover. In the last 45 minute of dawn I have seen 4 woodcock fly by camp against the brightening sky.... are these flight birds looking for a stop-over cover?

my impression is that they are.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 20, 2019 7:16 am
dam16sxs
(@dam16sxs)
Honorable Member

BTW - it was 27 degrees when I got up and a good frost on the meadow below camp.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 20, 2019 7:19 am
dam16sxs
(@dam16sxs)
Honorable Member

Well, those four fluttering along in the early dawn must have been gettin' outtta Dodge...

In about five hard hours of hunting with my setter we only had two points and flushes. So the 9 the day before must have been representative of the first wave of migrants.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 21, 2019 3:16 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Gentlemen,

Any body seeing any real change in Woodcock numbers where you hunt?  Is the WNV having any effect on the Woodcock population where you happen to be gunning them this last season.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 1 month ago by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : February 26, 2020 5:40 pm

Share: