What does this fall hold for you?  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member

Less than 30 days to the season opener's.

What are you planning to do this season?

"Chemists make good solutions" 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2017 10:10 pm
sdmt pga pro
(@sdmt-pga-pro)
Famed Member

I plan to be dang careful. I just spent the last three days looking over our properties in ND and MT., as well as mine and other's property in SD. The drought is extensive and the fire danger for any off road travel is worse than high. I heard on a G&F show on the radio yesterday while driving down from ND, that the Feds were probably going to close the grasslands to all off road travel unless the rains come soon.

The local ag show on the radio this noon announced that 80 percent of SD is now in the drought and from what I saw in ND that is probably true for the western half of the state. It certainly is bad throughout the western half of the Dakotas and the eastern half of MT.

I will put photos up under a separate thread.

B.C.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2017 11:07 pm
pathfinder 1984
(@pathfinder-1984)
Estimable Member

i saw on the Farm Journal report last week that N Dakota farmers are baling the weeds from CRP to try to keep their cattle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2017 11:30 pm
thornton
(@thornton)
Noble Member

Fingers crossed for the entirety of the season but on the first time out I will effort to never forget to appreciate the dogs and being there(irregardless) and never fail to look, listen, feel, smile, think, sniff, touch, wonder, sweat, stumble, recover, chill, laugh, anger, err, succeed and eat too much….oh, and take more photos.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2017 11:52 pm
kgb
 kgb
(@kgb)
Prominent Member

Big unknowns. Kidney disease is taking our female, male is 11 but seems fine. Puppy due early September. Not expecting to hit it all so hard this year, sounds like the weather has fixed things up similarly for some others. Best of luck to you all.

Bore, n. ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast."

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2017 1:30 am
Selby Lowndes
(@selby-lowndes)
Reputable Member

Doves for sure Labor Day weekend. I might try to shoot enough squirrels for a Brunswick stew when the season opens the 15th of this month. Cuttin' time makes it easy to find where they're hanging out.

October trip to the prairie for Saskatchewan ducks etc. A deer in November. Hometown ducks in December. Quail over the bird dogs in January and February when the deer hunters get out of the woods.

I shoulda retired a long time ago, I'm way behind schedule...SelbyLowndes

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2017 1:40 am
Larry Brown
(@larry-brown)
Illustrious Member

Likely a lot more hunting around home for grouse and woodcock, and in the UP. Sounds like I'll confine my pheasant efforts to farms I've hunted for years down in Iowa. It's not the ringneck heaven it was from about 1987-2003. But last year wasn't terrible and it sounds like this year should be better. Looking forward to the August roadside counts.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2017 11:08 am
dam16sxs
(@dam16sxs)
Reputable Member

I wish we still had pheasants in the East - gosh do I miss them. We haven't had wild pheasants since the early 70's.
grouse and woodcock have filled my journals ever since, along with some serious deer hunting.
i had hoped to continue that kind of schedule this fall but it doesn't seem to be in the cards. My little setter girl will likely be 'confined to quarters' by a gaggle of squealing puppies - at least that's what I'm hoping. Her heats have been pretty irregular right from the beginning. She'll come into season anywhere from 6 1/2 months to almost 9 months between. It will be 7 months this week since she started her last one. The plan is to breed her this time. Mother Nature holds the cards.

Make memories with the young ones in your life - they will call up your spirit after you're gone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2017 11:38 am
watson buck
(@watson-buck)
Estimable Member

I leave TX on Sept 25th for Northern MN. - grouse and W.C. and return Nov 2nd. MN reports the N.E. section as up 50%+ on drumming count so it should be a nice year. Looks like it may be another great season for quail in Texas this year - In the spring I plan to get another young setter started as my dog Bella will have just turned 9 and l'll be turning 75 so tis will be my last dog.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2017 12:36 pm
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member

I don't know how the season will evolve.
I have a couple ideas, but well, who knows.

I did book a couple driven days in England, so I'll be there at the end of Oct.
I may start doing some entertaining at my camps this season. We'll see.

Sept 1, and the opening of early Teal is always a treat. Grilled, Honey bar-b-que'd, baby Greenwings.

There's some field trials to attend, a SxS shoot at the "Tunnel of Tree's", maybe a ride west to run my dogs on the prairie, that pretty much uses up Sept.

Truthfully, before anymore guys around here die, I'd like to meet some of you.

"Chemists make good solutions" 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2017 1:31 pm
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

Looks like we'll have a early fall. Weather is cool for this time of year... Low seventies.
Can't wait till Big Ten football starts, family enjoys going and I have great seats.... Go Big Red.;)

Enjoy taking my Grandson, turns ten shortly.... He's a expensive date... end up spending $80.00 bucks on stuff.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

Once a man, twice a child....

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2017 4:48 pm
Larry Brown
(@larry-brown)
Illustrious Member

Junnie, still seems odd for Nebraska to be in the Big Ten. Most of the time, that means a tougher game for them vs Iowa rather than Iowa State. Cyclone fans don't like to be reminded that of all the FBS schools, they've gone the longest without winning a conference championship: 1912, when they played in the Missouri Valley Conference. But then the pre-shuffle Big 12 was a darned tough conference.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2017 7:54 pm
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

I much prefer the Big Eight... Oklahoma day after Thanksgiving was tradition.

Once a man, twice a child....

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2017 7:59 pm
kgb
 kgb
(@kgb)
Prominent Member

Unfortunately, all that little league football dominates the sports pages here in Nebraska. Does clear out traffic on a Saturday though, unless it's a home game and you have to drive through Lincoln at certain hours.

Bore, n. ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast."

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2017 8:41 pm
Bob Blair
(@bob-blair)
Eminent Member

Wish I was going hunting with my dog. Kate the Springer is in her final training and will be in "Grouse Camp" hunting Blues near Vail for six weeks starting the end of this month. Then a bit more steadying, a couple of puppy trials and she'll be home to hunt doodles in the Ozarks with a few good preserve hunts thrown in.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2017 10:25 pm
Page 1 / 2 Next
Share: