Rage Syndrome  

RSS
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

Has anyone ever experienced Rage Syndrome in any of there dogs???  My son put down his Wiemar last night due to the Rage.

Once a man, twice a child....

Posted : March 13, 2019 6:44 pm
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Trusted Member

Nope. Have read about it on these forums before. It is supposed to be quite rare but most common in springers.  Very sorry to hear about your son's dog.  

This post was modified 1 week ago by Lee Sykes
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2019 8:56 pm
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

That, or something like it, caused my buddy’s older Llewelyn to grab his arm viciously.

As soon as he broke loose, he shot his dog.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2019 9:09 pm
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

From what I read, it's not that uncommon and no known cause and effective treatment.  The Wiemar in question was a stout in shape dog about 80 pounds, could easily hurt or kill someone.  My guess sometime of brain damage, tumor, cancer etc.  He would stiffen up, hackle up and walk on his toes, posturing for attack, some times this would last a hour or so, usually would come out of it.  BUT:  could not take a chance with friends coming a going and children about, risky business. 

Yes indeed they had some type of out break several years ago, Springer Rage.  Cause is still unknown.   Thanks for your replies.

Once a man, twice a child....

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 14, 2019 11:06 am
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Junnie,

Never heard of a Weimar dog having Rage Syndrome before, have known them to become extremely aggressive after they have been hit by cars or abused in some other way.  They are bred with a serious guard instinct to begin with.  Sounds like your son might have had a genetically deformed Weimar in some way.  My buddy Harold bred them for over 40 years, I will ask him about this incident when I talk to him next.

I did have an English Springer Spaniel that we finally had to put down because of his aggression, both to other animals and to humans.  He however had been hit by a truck and lived thru it, he never fully recovered from being run over.  Our Vet at the time said the dogs brain had been damaged in the accident.  Wanted me to put him down even then.  He was about 8 years old when he went crazy, he was a rescue dog to begin with, I saved him as long as I could.

Hope your son is ok from living thru this experience, it a real tough one.

Dave B- L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 6 days ago by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2019 12:33 am

Share: