Oh! The "Glorious T...

Oh! The "Glorious Twelfth" awaits  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

Yes, you are an American, but in your “backwards” post you wrote about a British experience in the UK.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

It’s a shame how you come across so holier-than-thou.

This post was modified 3 months ago 3 times by Moonshine
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2019 1:43 pm
JohnJ
(@johnj)
Estimable Member

Some clarification, please. What is meant by backwards vs not backwards?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2019 11:01 pm
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

Posted by: JohnJ

John, from Dave’s post it appears he is describing the typical British driven red grouse shooting practice of Guns firing the choked barrel first at incoming birds as being “backwards” compared to firing it second at American ruffed grouse flying away from the hunter.

Of course, the fact of the matter is that it all depends on where one is standing! 

This post was modified 3 months ago by Moonshine
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2019 11:49 pm
JohnJ
(@johnj)
Estimable Member
Posted by: Moonshine

Posted by: JohnJ

John, from Dave’s post it appears he is describing the typical British driven red grouse shooting practice of Guns firing the choked barrel first at incoming birds as being “backwards” compared to firing it second at American ruffed grouse flying away from the hunter.

Of course, the fact of the matter is that it all depends on where one is standing! 

Thanks. I suppose simply selecting the rear trigger first must be a design flaw. 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2019 1:11 pm
 Anonymous

Well!!!!   I wish I was going with you.....  One of my top hunting wishes was:  Shooting driven grouse in Scotland with a set of matched double guns.  But alas I no longer have the desire to kill things.  Still shoot, just not anything living.  Also have health issues.  

Be sure a post graphics.  Danke.......... John.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2019 3:41 pm
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member
Posted by: @greg-t

That right guys.

The 12th of August is but a short 6 weeks away.

This year I'll be on the moor in Scotland for the opener.

Red grouse driven from the heather come streaming down the vale.

Guns erupt, and a few fall.

A celebration of  shooting in beautiful country.

I can't wait.

That's super; sure hope the birds cooperate!

Our partridge and pheasant shoot is the fourth week of October - we're all getting lined up for it.

Went out for practice on crossing birds yesterday at a place not far from us in Maine. Did pretty well, hit maybe 80% of my shots, but there's nothing like warming up on crossers from either side. It's about as close as one can come to the real thing. The clays fly slower and start to drop, of course, but it still helps to get the eye in.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2019 7:51 am
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Estimable Member

Well, now it gas come and gone.  How about that? 

This post was modified 2 months ago by Lee Sykes
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 12, 2019 8:26 am
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member

For Lee,

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

A nice brace

[img] [/img]

"Chemists make good solutions" 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2019 5:05 pm
Lee Sykes liked
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Estimable Member

Thanks, Greg!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2019 8:07 pm
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member

For Lee,

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

A nice brace

[img] [/img]

Just what is that stone work all about. Very nice pictures.

Your shotgun looks  to be a beauty!

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 14, 2019 8:47 am
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member
  • John,
  • That is what is known as a stone butt.  Red Grouse typically fly up the hill, relatively low to the ground.
  • It is traditional,for the shooting of driven red grouse, for a line of stone butts to be carved into the hill, keeping the gun mostly obscured below grade.
  • Because RedGrouse fly close to the ground, the shooting is often right at eye level.
  • I will add some more descriptive pictures to this thread as time allows.

"Chemists make good solutions" 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 14, 2019 9:27 am
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member
  • John,
  • That is what is known as a stone butt.  Red Grouse typically fly up the hill, relatively low to the ground.
  • It is traditional,for the shooting of driven red grouse, for a line of stone butts to be carved into the hill, keeping the gun mostly obscured below grade.
  • Because RedGrouse fly close to the ground, the shooting is often right at eye level.
  • I will add some more descriptive pictures to this thread as time allows.

Thank you,  Greg. I would have never thought of that. It looked like an old root cellar or hide away.

🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 14, 2019 5:02 pm
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

@settertude

For anyone interested, there are numerous YouTube driven shooting videos...on red grouse, partridge, and pheasant shoots.

Some are simply visual, others give background on various aspects of driven shooting - safety, gear, clothing, and customs.

There are major differences between red grouse driven shooting and partridge and pheasant shooting, primarily in how the birds come to the Guns, and how and when they can be shot.

Rules are in place and must be followed - having been present when a very experienced but very arrogant American field shooter shot his close friend in the face because he ignored carefully explained safety rules was a shocker to those of us in the line of Guns.

Half a century ago and longer, driven shooting was mostly among landed friends who shot with one another. Nowadays, though there is some of that, there are very few properties that don’t offer let days to anyone, regardless of one’s position.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 15, 2019 8:14 am
Shuck M.
(@shuck-m)
Trusted Member

Greg thanks for posting. Glad the trip was a good one.

Just curious; what is the gun pictured? The teardrop on the stock's girth is throwing me off. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 15, 2019 9:27 am
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member

In the face!

That was a bad day for everyone I imagine. How bad was the fella injured?

Distance?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 15, 2019 10:07 am
Page 2 / 3

Share: