Oh! The "Glorious T...

Oh! The "Glorious Twelfth" awaits  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member

That right guys.

The 12th of August is but a short 6 weeks away.

This year I'll be on the moor in Scotland for the opener.

Red grouse driven from the heather come streaming down the vale.

Guns erupt, and a few fall.

A celebration of  shooting in beautiful country.

I can't wait.

"Chemists make good solutions" 🙂

Posted : June 28, 2019 8:00 am
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

Looking forward to your having a great shoot, and hearing how it went.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 28, 2019 8:44 am
thornton
(@thornton)
Noble Member

The heather of August is a welcome mat all on it's own.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 28, 2019 8:57 am
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Greg T,

Go and have a great time, I have great memories of Grouse hunting in Scotland myself, although I would much rather do walk up in the Heather than the driven shoots.  Each to his own!   Have fun on your shoot/ hunt.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 28, 2019 11:21 am
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

Dave, rough shooting for U.K. grouse as you know is a completely different effort/sport; it is also one that a number of us cannot handle physically.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 28, 2019 11:45 am
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Moonshine,

If you are unable to participate I did get introduced to one kind of driven shoot that I actually liked, sitting in a blind and having Grouse driven at you up hill is a pleasant experience.  I found out why guns are choked backwards as I shot these driven Grouse, full choke under the 1st trigger for taking Grouse 40 yards and out and IC under the 2nd trigger for taking Grouse closer in.  Way cool way to gun Grouse.  You may want to try it some time.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2019 3:51 pm
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

Dave, thanks for the suggestion.

Off and on now for nearly a quarter century, I’ve been in the butts for driven grouse, and at the pegs for partridges and pheasants in the U.K. 

Your “choked backwards” is entertaining, to say the least, but, simply put, wrong, since driven shooting, in essence, requires it. So, it’s the standard, not “backwards.”

Just like the standard is right-hand drive vehicles on the other side of the road.

This post was modified 3 months ago by Moonshine
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2019 4:35 pm
Buford
(@bernacki)
Estimable Member

Undoubtedly the real practical use of barrel selectors on single trigger guns, as well as dove shooting since typically they are also incoming targets.  It's not to select which barrel fires first on a covey rise.

Bruce

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2019 5:00 pm
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

Another way of looking at it...

I’ve owned three single trigger O/U guns, none of which had barrel selection - the reason is simple: both barrels are choked the same. 

Works beautifully on clays, coveys, and all varieties of driven birds.

This post was modified 3 months ago by Moonshine
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2019 5:42 pm
JohnJ liked
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Honorable Member

A friend frequently says, "See bird, shoot bird, don't sweat the details."

It works.

All the endless fretting over chokes, barrel selection, loads and shot size is just food for off-season internet debate that never comes to any worthwhile conclusion.

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2019 1:19 am
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

When I first began shooting in ‘92, at age 60, I was so ignorant about guns that I had not the slightest notion of shot size, chokes, or that guns were made with different kinds or styles of internal mechanisms.

Now, after reading a whole lot of books and articles, and watching numerous videos, I’ve come to know a little about shot and chokes and what “boxlock” and “sidelock” means - heck, I’ve learned that not too many shooters truly understand what a trigger plate lock is.

Pumps and semi/autos?? All I know about them is I find them Ugly, with a capital “U”!

Bottom line - as Geoff posted, very little of it matters to very many of us.

Because the CSMC Revelation Lee Sikes led me to for my grandson comes with chokes, I’ll try to teach him the basic chokes concept, and then urge him to shoot his gun only with the IC and modified chokes without ever unscrewing them. Being an inquisitive 14 year old, he’ll ignore that - until he learns on his own that maybe the old man had a pretty good idea.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2019 6:41 am
Lee Sykes liked
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Honorable Member

Best thing for new shooters and chokes is to teach them about them, give some suggestions and let them find their own way.  Exactly the path you're on...

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2019 11:10 am
thornton
(@thornton)
Noble Member

I hope we all work with choke constrictions and all the rest of the shooting or hunting fiddly bits in an effort to reduce the chance of wounding a bird during our own chosen activity. Constrictions needs obviously vary over Time.

I also suspect that, today, many find equipment choice to be most tightly tied to a personal success percentage. All well and good, I reckon, but I must say that I would hate to never miss a gamebird. Success, as regards dead birds, is highly overrated on my own list of important parts of a day. Misses....being some of my most cherished memories.

It would be difficult to imagine any real world loss from a 20 gauge possessing some degree of IC or Modified constrictions, however experimentation and "that don't work" has normally directed most of us down a long and beneficial path of learning...one paw put slowly in front of the other...or, put another way, the trip more than the destination. Mistakes maketh the shooter or hunter........imo.

Also, fwliw and ime, removing screw-in chokes is a sound idea....set and forget can lead to negative issues at inopportune times.

While I dislike choke tubes for even the teensy bit of xtra effort they demand, the one shotgun I have which is  so equipped, honestly, still goes bang. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2019 11:58 am
JohnJ
(@johnj)
Estimable Member
Posted by: Moonshine

Another way of looking at it...

I’ve owned three single trigger O/U guns, none of which had barrel selection - the reason is simple: both barrels are choked the same. 

Works beautifully on clays, coveys, and all varieties of driven birds.

After 30 years and dozens of choke tubes, my clays O/U currenty has a MODIFIED tube in each barrel. They have been in there for several years now and will likely remain.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2019 2:54 pm
Moonshine liked
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Gentlemen,

As an American shooter, my wording of backwards triggers is absolutely correct for our traditional American upland hunting, now in Europe where driven shoots are more prevalent it may in fact be opposite.  However I am an American and look at all technology including gun technology thru American usage 1st.  

IMO there is no comparison to the enjoyment I get with upland/walk up hunting, in fact I only enjoy the Grouse driven shoot to a small extent.  I enjoy hunting with my companion dogs, not just killing birds that are driven towards me by flushers and picked up by their dogs.  To me shooting the birds is only part of the Shooting Sportsman sport.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 3 months ago by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2019 1:12 pm
Page 1 / 3

Share: