Leather Gloves for ...

Leather Gloves for Upland Hunting  

Page 1 / 6
  RSS
Hunter B
(@hunter-b)

Anyone have a favorite pair or brand of gloves that they wear for upland hunting? I like the looks of the Orvis and Filson gloves, but I don't know if I want to spend that. What does everyone like to wear? I want something thin enough to have dexterity. Any positive reviews for the Filson or Orvis unlined gloves? Others to consider? Thanks!

Posted : July 31, 2017 3:28 am
kgb
 kgb
(@kgb)
Prominent Member

Berlin Glove Co in Wisconsin makes the deerskin gloves I bought via Grouse Tales' order form. Have worn some out, have two pairs now to work on. Not warm in the very cold, soak through in the rain but I wear them fondly.

Bore, n. ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2017 3:42 am
Larry Brown
(@larry-brown)
Illustrious Member

If you're talking unlined, I look for cold weather golf gloves. You can often find them on sale. In warmer weather, I only wear a glove on my left hand, and you can often find single golf gloves. When I find them, I stock up. I have some other ones from Boyt that I also like. But it's hard to beat the price on golf gloves, and they're easy to find. And they seem to wear about as well as the higher priced shooting gloves. I've also used batting gloves. But when wearing those, I'm inclined to break open the gun and readjust them after every shot . . . kinda like the MLB guys stepping out of the box and readjusting their gloves after every pitch. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2017 11:06 am
thornton
(@thornton)
Noble Member

Despite my Father’s comment…”all you can do with gloves on, is whistle”, I use them and any thin leather that fits, works.
As does any other glove that fits….I think I have a cloth pair now with an auto parts association.
I will note that a lack of velcro is a plus if one is coming down with a cold or an allergy.

My only caution involves leather fiddling. Years ago, in an attempt for the ultimate fit of a thin leather glove, I followed some advice…may have been from MM….regarding a process of wetting them, etc.
My mistake was in not following instructions to the letter and somewhere during the process the gloves immediately shrank to a size barely fitting a capuchin monkey.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2017 11:23 am
dam16sxs
(@dam16sxs)
Reputable Member

I use thin unlined pigskin gloves that I buy for $15 or less. They're good down to about 20 degrees and I won't buy them if they're too snug. The pig skin will stretch and form to my hand after only a few hours of raking or yard work.

Make memories with the young ones in your life - they will call up your spirit after you're gone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2017 11:23 am
Buford
(@bernacki)
Estimable Member

I use batter's gloves or one of the new breed of close-fitting mechanics gloves you can find in Home Depot or Costco when they have them.

Buford

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2017 3:31 pm
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

Gloves, per se, are not a problem.

Waterproof gloves that really work, are a completely different thing.

The only really good pair I've ever found, and that, thank heavens, work really well for shooting in the rain, is a pair of German gloves, sold one year by Beretta - a stippled rubber-like outer coating, with a very light wool lining. Beretta has never offered them since, and I've been lucky enough to not lose one or both of them.

The label inside says only "Schuh." I've never been able to track them down. I'd pay a helluva price for another pair.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2017 4:23 pm
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

Bob Allen.... used them off and on for over 40 years...

Once a man, twice a child....

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2017 4:46 pm
dam16sxs
(@dam16sxs)
Reputable Member

I have found that my hands/fingers don't get cold even when the pig skin gloves are wet.

Make memories with the young ones in your life - they will call up your spirit after you're gone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2017 7:56 pm
SxS Shooter
(@sxs-shooter)
Illustrious Member

I wear a pair of the Orvis uplander shooting gloves when I dove & grouse hunt. Oddly enough when duck and goose hunting I prefer a bare hands. If it's cold a hand warmer in the pocket does the job. In extreme cold when its late season Canandas - I wear a Drake hand muff w/ a few hand warmers thrown in.

Ever get the feeling that you've been cheated?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2017 8:58 pm
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

Hand warmers. Have several from well over fifty years ago... Fill them with lighter fluid, they work. At least fifty years ago. Thanks for the memories.......

Once a man, twice a child....

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2017 9:43 pm
Ol-Forester
(@ol-forester)

Bass Pro used to sell the Morris Feel Glovess that were thin wool with leather palms and nylon finger tips. They were warm wet or dry but the briars would eat them up in 2/3 years. I learned to shoot with them on. On my last raggedy pair. Have looked high and low over the last few years for them to no avail.

I have always wondered if leather would be hard on gun finish and bluing. I don't do as much cold weather hunting since our Indiana quail are about a thing of the past. May be mechanic gloves in the future for me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2017 10:52 pm
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member

I like the "leather Duty gloves",as found on Amazon.
Reinforced knuckles, padded palms, kevlar reinforced, velcro closure.

If I don't shoot any birds, I'm still ready for a gig in a Mad Max video. Or a Village People concert.

"Chemists make good solutions" 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2017 12:46 am
Larry Brown
(@larry-brown)
Illustrious Member

What's hard on gun bluing is sweat. I have mostly sxs with splinter forends. That's why I wear a glove on my L hand even in warm weather.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2017 1:21 am
Selby Lowndes
(@selby-lowndes)
Reputable Member

I'd rather not wear gloves, so I rely upon chemical "hot hands" type hand warmers in my coat pocket. They work fine for me even on duck hunts...SelbyLowndes

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2017 6:51 pm
Page 1 / 6

Share: