Forum

Focus on Timberdood...

Notifications
Clear all

Focus on Timberdoodles and the Perfect Woodcock Gun !  

rjones2306@hotmail.com
(@rjones2306hotmail-com)
Eminent Member
Woodcock Bruce Langton  reduced file sizs

OK, guys, not too soon to start thinking about Woodcock.  Season opens here in Mid-Michigan in a month.  Bruce Langton captures the moment on page 98 of "Come October, Exclusively Woodcock".  My copy is autographed by Bryan Bilinski from Fieldsport in Traverse City, who penned the chapter on "In Search of the Perfect Woodcock Gun". Bryan's perfect gun is a 16 gauge Boxlock with open chokes and 6.25-6.5 lb weight.  While perfect for him, a bit heavy for my aging frame.  But a good place to begin discussion.

Woodcock photo light

For this season, I'm leaning towards my 5.75 lb, 26 inch Twist Steel Barreled, 1910, 20 gauge Flues.  In early season, I'll shove an RST "Woodcock" load of #10 shot in the I.C. right barrel, and RST's paper cased, 7/8 ounce #6 in the left (modified) barrel in case we bump a grouse. 

Damascus Ithaca Flues 20 ga circa 1910 01

My huntin' buddy, Mark Steih, likes a Turkish made, light, 20 gauge double.  As you can see, it suits him well.

MarkSteihWoodcock1

Ron Jones

Topic starter Posted : August 26, 2020 11:15 am
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Ron,

Great thread, I agree Woodcock season is coming fast.  Love the old double guns you choose also.  Being a big L.C. Smith guy I have a beautiful pre 13, 00 20 gauge that I love as a Timberdoodle gun. Nice light gun at just over 5 lbs.  I also use the RST and Poly SpredR's in her and the little 20 gauge really puts the birds down.

I also have an original 20 gauge H&R double Hammer double Trigger gun that I really love for downing Woodcock.  Made with IC/M chokes, it is just fantastic as a Woodcock gun.  With the RST Woodcock shells, it's real hard to leave the old Hammer Gun at home or even in the vehicle while hunting.  The old gun is almost like cheating, cover and squeeze the trigger, and you have a bird to eat.

I have numerous 20 gauge L.C. Smith double guns, all are great Woodcock guns, my latest purchase is a 00 grade with 28" barrels that I wanted badly for Mearns Quail hunting in AZ.  It will also be a great Woodcock gun, choked IC & M.  I will also use the RST Woodcock shells in her while hunting Woodcock.  

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man 

1900 H&R 20 Gauge Hammer Gun with DT.  One serious Woodcock & Grouse Gun.

[img] [/img]

A modern 28 gauge and a 1926 20 gauge L.C. Smith great Woodcock guns also.

[img] [/img]

This post was modified 8 months ago 3 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 26, 2020 2:25 pm
rjones2306@hotmail.com
(@rjones2306hotmail-com)
Eminent Member

Dave:  All of your doubles are beautiful...but the H & R is particularly fascinating.  Question to you to answer for all of us who have never had the fortune of shooting upland birds with a vintage double hammergun.  Assuming you are shooting over pointed birds...at what point before or during the flush do you cock one or both the hammers ?  I hunted with a single barrel flintlock 12 bore with a flushing dog, and cocking a single hammer after the flush was an additional challenge which took a little time to master.  

Ron

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 26, 2020 3:41 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Ron,

I was taught old school, you load the shells and leave the breach open and cock both hammers, then walk with the gun in that manner.  When the dog goes on final point you close the breach and you are ready to fire the gun.  We have killed a lot of Grouse and Woodcock in this manner and nobody has ever been hurt and never any misfires.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

Grouse & Woodcock hunting with my 1913 16 gauge L.C. Smith Hammer Gun in the Pa woods.[img] [/img]

This post was modified 8 months ago by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 27, 2020 10:38 am
rjones2306@hotmail.com
(@rjones2306hotmail-com)
Eminent Member

Thanks, Dave.  That is REALLY valuable information for anyone contemplating purchasing a vintage double hammergun for upland bird hunting with pointing breeds. 

Photo #2 Flintlock Transition  captioned 02

Unfortunately, with a muzzleloader, we didn't have that option.  Load the barrel with a single 80 grain charge of FFG Goex powder, add two card wads over powder; then add 1 1/8 ounce of shot and a top wad with the under-barrel ramrod.  Now you're set to prime the pan with FFFFG powder from a separate charging tool...then pick the vent and put the gun on half cock.  When our flushing dog put up a bird, we cocked the hammmer as the bird departed, mounted the gun, swung on the departing woodcock and hoped the lock time was short enough to intercept the bird.  The mounted bird you see in the second picture of this topic was killed with this very bespoke flintlock I built from scratch in the early 80's.  When we did manage to kill a bird, it was time for celebration and preserving the memory with a game mount.  Gave me a unique appreciation for our ancestors who participated in "shooting flying" with flintlock ignition in the late 1700's.  

Ron

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 27, 2020 12:11 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Ron,

Fantastic stuff no doubt about it, long ago my Great Grandfather got rid of all the old muzzleloader guns.  I have never really owned one myself.  Have fun with your gun, me I like the breach loading guns from around the late 1800's to the preset time.

I hope you enjoy your muzzleloaders and do well hunting with them.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 27, 2020 1:52 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Ron,

Leaving for the UP early tomorrow morning, will be off line for about a week, no on line access where we are staying in the UP this season.  Good luck with your bird hunting.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 15, 2020 10:09 am
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

rJones,

I also have a 16 gauge Crescent Hammer gun that I picked up last season, mostly because I am unable to find another good L.C. Smith 16 gauge Hammer gun right now.  I always wanted the old 16 gauge Crescent Hammer Gun also, a nice old side lock, and it does shoot real nice bird killing patterns, using the RST SpredR shells.  The gun is similar to my old 1913 L.C. Smith, however it was made even earlier around 1899 and is not quite as light as the L.C. Smith 1913 Hammer Gun.  Not much heavier at 6.8 lbs, the 16 gauge L.C. Smith Hammer gun was a 6 Lb gun, and I loved her.  The 20 gauge H&R DT, DH guns is really something at just 5 lbs, and you have a tendency to forget you are even carrying a gun when totting her in the Grouse woods, she is that dainty.  I do love Grouse and Woodcock hunting with my Hammer Guns, to me its the most sporting way to bird hunt.

all the best,

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

The old DT/DH 1899, 16 gauge Crescent Hammer Gun.  Nice old bird gun for sure,

[img] [/img]

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 3 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 24, 2021 3:54 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @dave-buehner

rJones,

I also have a 16 gauge Crescent Hammer gun that I picked up last season, mostly because I am unable to find another good L.C. Smith 16 gauge Hammer gun right now.  I always wanted the old 16 gauge Crescent Hammer Gun also, a nice old side lock, and it does shoot real nice bird killing patterns, using the RST SpredR shells.  The gun is similar to my old 1913 L.C. Smith, however it was made even earlier around 1899 and is not quite as light as the L.C. Smith 1913 Hammer Gun.  Not much heavier at 6.8 lbs, the 16 gauge L.C. Smith Hammer gun was a 6 Lb gun, and I loved her.  The 20 gauge H&R DT, DH guns is really something at just 5 lbs, and you have a tendency to forget you are even carrying a gun when totting her in the Grouse woods, she is that dainty.  I do love Grouse and Woodcock hunting with my Hammer Guns, to me its the most sporting way to bird hunt.

all the best,

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

The old DT/DH 1899, 16 gauge Crescent Hammer Gun.  Nice old bird gun for sure,

[img] [/img]

Is this a reply to the post from August of 2020?

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 28, 2021 11:42 am
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Further North,

Post is just part of the conversation Ron & I were having, with focus on a Woodcock gun.

all the best,

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2021 4:06 pm
Share: