Dogtra T&B 2500  

Page 3 / 4
  RSS
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Buford,

Bruce after the 1st time you tune your dog up for rolling in the crap, try using the vibrate before the shock and see if the dog obeys, usually it works pretty well on most dogs.  Some however need to get lit up to keep them from rolling in the crap, just depends on the dog.

Dave B. - L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 15, 2018 6:27 pm
Buford
(@bernacki)
Estimable Member

Thanks, that's why I said she gets correction if she ignores the pager (vibrate).  I certainly believe in a progressive correction.  I do the same with her obsession with mice and gophers when she gets bored, although I add a "leave it" after the pager for that since that's not exactly a hanging offense, just annoying.   Rolling in a deer gut pile - there is no room for error there, so vibrate when I see the shoulder dip, then if no response, a quick tap, which gives the Dogtra unit the advantage with dedicated function buttons.  Of course, I have to see her to do that.

Bruce

This post was modified 3 months ago by Buford
ReplyQuote
Posted : December 15, 2018 9:19 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Bufford,

Bruce good correction training technique, be patient and do not loose your temper, most amateur trainers have limited patience while training, never punish when you loose your temper.  The dog must understand what it is doing wrong before being punished.  Repeat training gets the job done every time.   Always give your dog the benefit of the doubt, always remember the dog is your companion not your enemy. 

Dave B. - L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 16, 2018 12:18 am
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Gentlemen,

On the 13th of December I ordered the new DT 1450 collar, I am having some problems with the Amazon order. The 1450 collar has not arrived as of today 1/10/19.  Have contacted Amazon to see if the package was miss shipped, and for them to have the vendor contact me.  2nd package that has not arrived via Amazon for Christmas orders.  They have my money, I have no merchandise.

Dave B. - L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2019 10:49 am
Buford
(@bernacki)
Estimable Member

Hope they get it to you.  That's why I just order from Lion Country Supply, although I order some stuff from Amazon.  LCS had some pretty good deals around Thanksgiving that I took advantage of.  Plus they make sure the collar is charged and works when they send it.

Bruce

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2019 1:29 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Buford,

Bruce what you say is true and I do order many items thru Lion Country also.  Probably should have done it with the new 1450 DT Collar also.  Opted for the sales price they were selling it for on Amazon.  This may have blown up in my face, trying to just save a little money.  

Dave B. - L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2019 1:59 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Reputable Member

Man...we buy tons of things on Amazon - probably two or three deliveries a week on average. We only had one thing go slightly sideways and they stepped in as soon as I reached out to them.

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2019 4:37 pm
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

My heaviest Amazon usage is books for Kindle on this very iPhone...

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2019 10:00 am
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Reputable Member
Posted by: Moonshine

My heaviest Amazon usage is books for Kindle on this very iPhone...

I didn't even think about that.  Add another two or three a week.

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2019 10:05 am
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Gentlemen,

My problem with Amazon was that they shipped my order to my old address, which had been corrected to our new home.  Some how their computer reverted to the old shipping address.  I changed it once again, hope it stays this time. 

Have retrieved the DT1450 Collar from the old home's porch and have charged it, every thing seems to be working correctly.  One note however the advertisement on purchasing this 1450 collar says the unit is fully rechargeable.  This is not true, the hand held remote for the unit takes a 9V battery, the hand held remote is not rechargeable.

This means you the owner must keep a bunch of 9V batteries around to power the hand held in the field or forest.  If I would have known this, I would not have purchased the DT 1450 collar.

The 1450 collar does have the discharge trickle set up, so you can not over charge the batteries in the collar.  No timer is needed as on the old H20 DT Units.  This is a good up grade for sure.  The buttons on the new 1450 hand held remote control are bigger, and seem to be a better quality also.  The buttons on the DT H2O unit kept going bad after about a year of use, looks like DT corrected this problem on the new 1450 unit.

Dave B. - L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 2 months ago 3 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2019 12:42 pm
thornton
(@thornton)
Noble Member

An Astro collar is rechargeable...the Astro handheld I have requires batteries.....that situation is normal re collars and handhelds and has been so since Hector was a pup.

It is also a sound system well considered.

Few folks would be away from a vehicle, etc. to the point that a handheld would require more than on set of ...just-in-case...batteries.

Enjoy your new DT, David ...and fwliw, I have also made a mistake in not updating addresses or hitting a wrong button on Amazon. It happens.

Amazon itself, does a remarkable job given the volume of business they do. My one kick on Amazon is if one avoids the Prime then one must make sure to re-ask for free shipping, if available over 'X' amount...free shipping is not automatically given when available on an order. I reckon they make some lucre with that deal...one would think free shipping could automatically generate in the order if it passes that 'X' amount...but, no. I guess we customers need to be on our toes....not a terrible request.

This post was modified 2 months ago by thornton
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2019 1:20 pm
john mcg liked
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

thornton,

The good Dogtra T&B units are rechargeable at both the Hand held remote control and the collar unit also, IMO still the best collar units on the market.   The full unit can be kept plugged into the wall or vehicle outlet, to assure full charge, while not in use.  I still own the originals I tested.  The DT H2O units were designed in the same manner, however they had no trickle discharge unit, and the batteries could be damaged by over charging.  A timer was required to safe guard the units.  The new DT 1450 unit with the 9V batteries in the Hand Held Remote control is piss poor engineering for the Hand Held, also a lot cheaper to make.  Ok for the typical owner/hunter who uses the collar sparingly thru the week and on weekends, but not for a Grouse dog trainer, where the collar is being used a lot, on many different dogs thru the week.  

The old fully rechargeable 1850- 2000 Dogtra T&B is still the best Collar unit on the market for longevity use.  I was hoping the DT 1450 units would be comparable.  Unfortunately not.  Having to replace 9V batteries while working in the field is a looser.  Quick recharging by plugging the full unit into the SUV outlet is the way to go.

Dave B. - L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 2 months ago 3 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2019 2:01 pm
thornton
(@thornton)
Noble Member
Posted by: Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

thornton,

The good Dogtra T&B units are rechargeable at both the Hand held remote control and the collar unit also, IMO still the best collar units on the market.   The full unit can be kept plugged into the wall to assure full charge, while not in use.  I still own the originals I tested.  The DT H2O units were designed in the same manner, however they had no trickle discharge unit, and the batteries could be damaged by over charging.  A timer was required to safe guard the units.  The new DT 1450 unit with the 9V batteries in the Hand Held Remote control is piss poor engineering for the Hand Held, also a lot cheaper to make.  Ok for the typical owner/hunter who uses the collar sparingly thru the week and on weekends, but not for a Grouse dog trainer, where the collar is being used a lot, on many different dogs thru the week.  

The old fully rechargeable 1850- 2000 Dogtra T&B is still the best Collar unit on the market for longevity use.  I was hoping the DT 1450 units would be comparable.  Unfortunately not.  Having to replace 9V batteries while working in the field is a looser.  Quick recharging by plugging the full unit into the SUV outlet is the way to go.

Dave B. - L.C. Smith mand 

Well, maybe.....one can normally expect capability and particulars of a tool to follow it's price.

As one might expect a purchaser to understand what he purchased rather than "hope" or...heck, simply return or make lemonade. Good luck with the unit and your training of "grouse"? dogs.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2019 2:13 pm
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member

I do like the Alpha aspect over the Astro for the battery power of the handheld.

Its uber convenient to just plug the thing in whether at home, motel or vehicle and the fact that it comes with the cables to get two collars and the handheld charging together--does make for potential spaghetti in the sack, though. Still---easy enough to prevent or untangle. I'm usually untangling.

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2019 3:15 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

john mcg,

I agree I want to be able to sit and eat lunch in the SUV, plugging my full collar unit into the outlet and recharge it, if I need to.  Not mess around replacing a 9V battery in a hand held unit, needing to have a new 9V battery and a Philips head screw driver available to replace the battery.

Yep I untangle wires all the time, having a couple dual units recharging at the same time, even in the SUV.  In the log cabin I have about 4 different Dual T&B units, and unfortunately the original 1850 type Dogtra T&B units are actually different voltage than the 2000 T&B, and take their own plug and wires.

However give me the rechargeable units every time.

Dave B. - L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2019 11:57 am
Page 3 / 4

Share: