Dogs what Breed is your Favorite and Why.  

Page 9 / 9 Prev
  RSS
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Junnie,

The majority of gun dog owners are not Field Trial people, and they want their dogs training to hunt with.  Most want a dog that breaks on gun fire to retrieve the fallen birds.  This is especially true of Grouse dog owners.  They also demand a dog that walks a Grouse to final set point, without forcing the Grouse into flight.  

Different training methods for different dogs, most of the time.     The Grouse dog must work with the master as a hunting companion, not just point birds for itself.

Dave B. - L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 1 week  ago 2 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2018 12:17 pm
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

I judge all hunting dogs by the :

THE AMESIAN STANDARD The dog under consideration must have and display great bird sense. He must show perfect work on both coveys and singles. He must quickly determine between foot and body scent. He must use his brain eyes and nose to the fullest advantage and hunt the likely places on the course. He must posses speed, range, style, character, courage and stamina, and good manners, always. He must hunt the birds and not the handler hunt the dog. No line or path runner is acceptable. He must be well broken, and the better his manners the more clearly he proves his sound training. Should he loose a little in class, as expressed in extreme speed and range he can make up for this, under fair judgment, in a single piece of superior bird work, or in sustained demonstration of general behavior. He must be bold, snappy and spirited. His range must be to the front or to either side, but never behind. He must be regularly and habitually pleasingly governable (tractable) and must keep uppermost in his mind the finding and pointing of birds for his handler.

Once a man, twice a child....

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2018 4:36 pm
Geoff Roznak
(@geoff-roznak)
Estimable Member
Posted by: Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

The majority of gun dog owners are not Field Trial people, and they want their dogs training to hunt with.  Most want a dog that breaks on gun fire to retrieve the fallen birds.  This is especially true of Grouse dog owners.  They also demand a dog that walks a Grouse to final set point, without forcing the Grouse into flight.

Dave...no, we don't want that. Perhaps in your neck of the woods, but not any I've ever hunted witb. Dogs that break on the shot can get hurt, particularly if the grouse is missed on the first shot. Also, if there's a second flush the dog won't get a mark on it.

Posted by: Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

p>Different training methods for different dogs, most of the time.     The Grouse dog must work with the master as a hunting companion, not just point birds for itself.

We can agree there. Different strokes for different folks is all that really works, or matters.

This post was modified 1 week  ago by Geoff Roznak

I wonder what happened to my old signature line?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2018 8:07 pm
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

We can agree there. Different strokes for different folks is all that really works, or matters.

I've come to conclusion that most dog owners don't know crap when it come to there dog of choice, especially hunting breeds.

For sure I want to see a cracking or merry tail, tells me the dog enjoys his work.  Dog must look good going with a high head and pleasing to the eye.  Now this great knowledge has come from 65 years of hunting upland game birds over a wide variety of dogs. 🙄 

I've hunted over mutts, mixed breeds, quality drop dead gorgeous Pointers and Setters.  With a doubt I've watched some numb skulls mishandle there canine friends beyond belief.  Whip and abuse dogs because of  their stupidity that is the owners stupidity.

I guarantee you soft hands always gets much better results, many professional handlers do not have this touch.   

Cold weather here in Nebraska, I miss those Indian Summer days. Boo hoo..... 😥 

Once a man, twice a child....

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2018 10:51 am
Geoff Roznak
(@geoff-roznak)
Estimable Member
Posted by: Junnie

I've come to conclusion that most dog owners don't know crap when it come to there dog of choice, especially hunting breeds.

For sure I want to see a cracking or merry tail, tells me the dog enjoys his work.  Dog must look good going with a high head and pleasing to the eye.  Now this great knowledge has come from 65 years of hunting upland game birds over a wide variety of dogs. 🙄 

I've hunted over mutts, mixed breeds, quality drop dead gorgeous Pointers and Setters.  With a doubt I've watched some numb skulls mishandle there canine friends beyond belief.  Whip and abuse dogs because of  their stupidity that is the owners stupidity.

I guarantee you soft hands always gets much better results, many professional handlers do not have this touch.   

Cold weather here in Nebraska, I miss those Indian Summer days. Boo hoo..... 😥 

You've got that nailed.

I have a sweet, gentle female Brittany right now...and if you can communicate to her what you want, she'll do it, and with so much eagerness it makes even crabby old men smile.  If you tried any of the hard edged "force methods" she'd become worthless fast. 

She's a joy in the field, full of energy and desire and had more bird sense the moment she was born than any number of bird hunters will have the day they die.

I wonder what happened to my old signature line?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2018 10:56 am
Page 9 / 9 Prev
Share: