Bird conditions, ho...

Bird conditions, how is it looking everywhere?  

Page 1 / 10
  RSS
Westok
(@westok)

Here in western Oklahoma we have had a wet spring, vegetation growth is great. I’m hearing lots of quail. I haven’t seen young birds yet but I haven’t been in the fields a lot. Plus the vegetation is so thick.

Posted : June 2, 2019 9:52 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Honorable Member

We are awash in pheasants...more than any year since we moved here.

Reports from the woods are good for grouse making it through the winter.

We've been cold...but not too cold, I think...and wet all spring, so I'm optimistic.

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 2, 2019 11:43 pm
Westok
(@westok)

Where?

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2019 8:35 am
thornton
(@thornton)
Noble Member

I saw one rooster pheasant SW of Dodge City a week or so ago.

Location matters, as might localized hail.

Crows are doing well in Ohio.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2019 9:35 am
Westok liked
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member

Michigan is as wet as I've ever seen it.

Waterfowling will be good.  Woodstock great.  Grouse? Where you find them.

"Chemists make good solutions" 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2019 10:13 am
Westok liked
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Westok,

Here on the norther tier of PA things are looking good, lots of Grouse drumming.  Having another wet spring & summer the Grouse chicks should be in good shape.  We have been seeing a lot of rabbits also, this is a real good sign that the predators will have other food to keep them away from the Grouse chicks.  

We are hopeful for another increase in our Grouse population here.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

[img] [/img]

This post was modified 4 months ago 2 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
This post was modified 3 months ago by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2019 12:09 pm
Westok liked
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Honorable Member
Posted by: Westok

Where?

NW WI.  North of Eau Claire is the place you'll be able to find.

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2019 12:38 pm
Westok liked
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Gentlemen,

Glad to hear the western Grouse population numbers are looking good, Big K will definitely like to hear that. Anybody have any information on the New England Grouse numbers yet?  Was considering a run up to Maine this season if the numbers look real good, maybe hit some other places in NH on the way back to Pa.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

When it comes right down to it however, we have had some real fine Grouse & Woodcock hunting for the past several years right here in Pa.  Grouse are spooky and challenging, and we have had real nice Woodcock flights also.   The predator problem has become even worse, Coyotes all over the place keeping the Grouse population real spooky.  It's one of the reasons I am looking to acquire a Side Lock J.P. Sauer Best Drilling gun, the Coyotes here are extremely smart and stay just outside of shotgun range, the Drilling Gun will change all that.  Might get lucky like one of our 16 gauge members did and come home with a nice big Turkey also. He is into both German guns and German Dogs, we wish him all the best.

[img] [/img]

Sampson our Small Munsterlander, a different kind of German gun dog, his Grouse hunting skills were just incredible.  He was great on Turkey also.

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

This post was modified 3 months ago 14 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2019 12:57 pm
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member

Almost nothing is planted around here.  Mid-Michigan

So, ground nesting birds have had a full breeding  season undisturbed.

Lots of geese, and ducks flying around already.

Pheasants?  They'll have had the best opportunity in 50 years.  If they existed to start.

It is one of the coolest springs on record.  We are 20 degrees below avg right now.  Soil temps similarly low.

"Chemists make good solutions" 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2019 5:31 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Honorable Member

Dave, you know coyotes don't really impact ground nesting birds, right?  Their preferred prey is mostly the critters that prey on ground nesting birds.

https://pheasantsforever.org/BlogLanding/Blogs/Pheasants-Forever/Like-Pheasants-Thank-a-Coyote.aspx

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2019 11:33 am
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Geoff,

The Coyotes do not kill many Grouse, they keep them very spooky however, with their constant harassment.  Fox are more talented at actually killing Grouse, and we shoot them also.  Wish we could shoot flying predators for sure.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2019 5:51 pm
 Anonymous

My guess Nebraska, piss poor.   Very wet cold spring.  Not ideal for nesting.  

Will post when I hear a reliable report from the Games and Parks.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2019 7:29 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Honorable Member

Geoff,

The Coyotes do not kill many Grouse, they keep them very spooky however, with their constant harassment. Fox are more talented at actually killing Grouse, and we shoot them also. Wish we could shoot flying predators for sure.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

What's wrong with spooky grouse? I'd rather not have them dumb like in Canada where you can kill 'em sitting on a branch with a well thrown rock...and why would a coyote waste energy harassing grouse they're not gonna eat?

Do what you think you need to do, but IMO, knocking the predator population out of balance is a recipe for disaster.  Killing avian predators is just silly, IMO.  They have more impact on rodents and other species than they ever will on grouse.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2019 9:40 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Geoff,

That is pure garbage, Great Horned Owls devastate Grouse Coverts, they are opportunists and eat anything they can.  In the 50 & 60's when we were allowed to hunt these predators and put them on equal basis with all other forms of wild game, we had great small game and bird populations, that today because of the treaties, which only the USA abides by, we no longer have.  The difference in our small game and bird populations between that era and now is drastic, mostly because of the flying predator laws.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2019 11:48 am
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Honorable Member

Mmmm...nope. 

Great habitat = great wildlife populations..  Great habitat will sustain a balanced ecology that will be healthy, balanced, and diverse.

Attempts to manage, or control one species over others, by people, never work, long term. For an example look at the failure to contain invasive species.  If Ma Nature wants it, she's gonna get it, every single time.

...but as I said, you do what you feel like you need to do...and don't take it personally when I say that I am delighted that kind if thinking is dying out.  We cant change you, nor should we try, but we can educate younger generations.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2019 4:17 pm
Page 1 / 10

Share: