Anyone done a dusky...

Anyone done a dusky/ blue grouse hunt?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Westok
(@westok)

Im planning a September hunt I’m probably limited by time to Colorado or New Mexico. I’m obviously not asking for specific spots just general advice . It’d just be me and my Brit. I don’t care about limiting out. 

Posted : May 23, 2019 7:40 pm
JohnJ
(@johnj)
Estimable Member
Posted by: Westok

Im planning a September hunt I’m probably limited by time to Colorado or New Mexico. I’m obviously not asking for specific spots just general advice . It’d just be me and my Brit. I don’t care about limiting out. 

Ive gotten lots of help by contacting both the DNR and the USFS. Call, get a live voice and politely ask for help. They should gladly provide you with advice, maps and directions.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2019 8:55 pm
Westok
(@westok)

Definitely plan on calling both in New Mexico before I go. I was just wondering if anyone on here had hunted blues. I know after hunting McKelvie last year for chickens there’s a learning curve on new places and birds. I think I looked everywhere they weren’t before finally finding where they were more likely to be.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2019 9:23 pm
JohnJ
(@johnj)
Estimable Member

Thats what you need to tell them. Be honest and ask those very questions. Then accept the task of figuring things out. That is part of the passage, so to speak.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2019 9:46 pm
Westok liked
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member

I've shot them a few times.

I hunted Colorado.

Colorado has hunter safety rules that might be a hassle for you.

wherever bow hunters are chasing elk, you will find Duskies.

8-10,000 elevation, riparian corridors, edges of dark timber.

As common as anything, I just walked up a trail and let my dogs work out from it.

Hunt high, sleep low.

Good luck

"Chemists make good solutions" 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 24, 2019 9:36 am
Westok liked
Westok
(@westok)

Appreciate it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 24, 2019 6:17 pm
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member

As time gets closer, ask more questions.  Share more about your trip.

You might miss something.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 25, 2019 6:27 pm
Westok liked
Westok
(@westok)

Finally got a hold of the New Mexico upland biologist, she seemed like a very nice young lady. She recommended units 51 , 52 or 53. So I’ve been using google earth and hillmap to find likely areas. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2019 9:03 pm
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @westok

Finally got a hold of the New Mexico upland biologist, she seemed like a very nice young lady. She recommended units 51 , 52 or 53. So I’ve been using google earth and hillmap to find likely areas. 

I am not familiar with 'Hillmap'...sounds interesting.

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2019 10:07 am
Westok
(@westok)

@settertude

It shows 2 maps side by side of the same area. So you can see topi and a google earth type view at the same time. It’s pretty cool. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2019 5:07 pm
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member

@westok

When you are looking at the maps,  highlite the parks, and creeks.

its big country.

make sure somebody knows where you’re headed

leave a note on your dash too.

dont forget finding a nearby vet just in case 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2019 5:59 pm
Westok
(@westok)

@greg-t

All good ideas, thank you. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2019 8:43 pm
Durangatan
(@durangatan)

If you have the time, I'd head up to the North Cascades.

We're in SW CO, and except for the plains, there really are not huntable bird numbers in the mtns. I'm out usually six days per week, training for mtn bike racing and trail running, or backpacking. I rarely go north of the I70 corridor, so my experience is through Durango, Pagosa, Leadville, BV, Aspen, Telluride, etc. We run into pockets of grouse. A few ptarmigan. Mostly, you will be taking a walk with your shotgun. Much more productive would be to punch back into high country lakes and fish. As an example.... I did a 6 day mtn bike trip from Durango to Moab, up through the LaPlatas, to Telluride, then to Moab. Zero birds.

In the North Cascades it is not uncommon to push up 20 - 40 birds per day. You also have the benefit of lower altitudes. Around CO, I run into elk hunters from lowland locations in the backcountry. Universally they are not fit, and are gassed from elevation. Some to the point where they cannot function to hunt.

If you want to get on birds for your canine's sake, Black Canyon Hunt Club north of Montrose is amazing for pen raised birds. Their flight pen is 10 acres! So the birds really fly.

Enjoy!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 8, 2019 12:53 pm
Westok
(@westok)

I’d love to hunt the cascades but I’m in Oklahoma and I teach, so I only have a few days. New Mexico is doable on time restraints. We will hunt a lot of quail in ok and pheasants in Kansas later. This hunt is a chance to get to the cool mountains walk some beautiful country and maybe see a few birds. I’m not worried about moving tons of birds. I’ve never tried it, last year I went to Valentine Nebraska for prairie chickens/ sharp tails. We walked the bottoms off my boots and finally found a few birds. It’s about trying something new. I’m gonna try to hunt a new species every year until I have hunted every upland species in North America or as close as I can get.

I appreciate 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 8, 2019 5:50 pm
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member

@westok

That is pretty cool. Thank you.

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2019 8:29 am
Page 1 / 2