Training Pointing Dogs.  

RSS
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

So!! How does one go about training pointing dogs?? From pup to finished dog. I prefer steady to wing and shot.

Once a man, twice a child....

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2018 3:05 pm
sdmt pga pro
(@sdmt-pga-pro)
Famed Member

Patiently!

B.C.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2018 3:42 pm
pathfinder 1984
(@pathfinder-1984)
Estimable Member

in my case, it's been by making mistakes and trying to learn from them.dont set your dog up to fail.dont expect too much too soondont drill your dogstart with top notch genetics and a breeder that consistently produces winners. you cant make a silk purse from a pig's ear.on the positive side, even though i hunt grouse and woodcock, i require a dog that can cover a lot of ground. style is very important, you spend a lot more time watching your dogs work than you do shooting. steady to w/s is preferred. i hunt as if i were in a single man field trial. and always put correct dog work over gunning.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2018 3:57 pm
pooch
(@pooch)
Noble Member

My problems have often come from thinking I was too smart. The book "Gun Dog" is good place to start, but I don't take it as gospel. Working with another owner trainer is very helpful. Pro trainers are good to learn from but be aware they are under a time limit to produce results and this might not work for an owner trainer. Stick with the basics and train daily, but be careful not to push too hard. I'm curious on how to train a flusher. It is something I have never done.

I've done few of the things I said I'd do and about all of the things I said I wouldn't

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2018 5:03 pm
thornton
(@thornton)
Noble Member

I do not know the answer.....mine have always trained me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2018 5:27 pm
sdmt pga pro
(@sdmt-pga-pro)
Famed Member

[QUOTE=pooch;9928 I'm curious on how to train a flusher. It is something I have never done.

Train with more patiense, a finished retriever will handled to no less than five hand casts, many trained to respond to eight. He must obey instantly no less than two whistle commands, including one commanding an extended sit for as long as whatever time passes until the next command.

A finish retriever will mark as memorize no less than double falls and at the competitive level no less than three. He will run blinds to as much as a quarter of a mile, will ignore obsticals, ignore temptations to cheat his line,including birds he wasn't sent for.

And when he has done all that, he must unfailing deliver to hand and do so from the heel position.

B.C.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2018 5:27 pm
Dave E.
(@vaf)
Estimable Member

Enough wild bird contact will teach what is important. My dogs figure out on their own that they can not catch the bird. I don't train for steady to shot. I'd rather have them on a wounded bird asap. I'm with Larry Brown on that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2018 5:28 pm
Leon670
(@leon670)
Prominent Member

Steady to the unwrapping of the last cheeseburger.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2018 8:12 pm
pooch
(@pooch)
Noble Member

Bob, do use the DT dummy launcher or something similar? I've had some success using it with a duck hunting retriever and curing gun shyness in a dog. The biggest frustration I have experienced with my dog and other people's dogs is they seemed to be trained, handling themselves well in the yard, but when the ducks come on a hunt they will bust through the blind. I've check corded my dog but holding a big bounding Lab while trying to shoot is not much fun. I'm guessing I didn't do enough Sit/Stay, but I thought the dog had it cold. Where did I screw up?

I've done few of the things I said I'd do and about all of the things I said I wouldn't

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2018 10:00 pm
Dave Noell
(@dave-noell)
Famed Member

"Gun Dog" the book is not where I'd go if you want a nice broke pointing dog. There are several out there that are much better. I'd list them but I've given them away over the years and don't recall the exact titles. A trainer can put too much pressure on a dog but you can also move too slowly. If you are mixing praise and correction along the way,,, getting in their grill when they need it, lets them know you mean it.

Give me a dog that will run and a horse that will walk

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2018 10:18 pm
sdmt pga pro
(@sdmt-pga-pro)
Famed Member

Where did I screw up?

It is near impossible to say for certain without seeing you handling the dog..... Or vise versa, Don.

My guess though would be the dog was not bullet proof on the extended sit. That is the most common fault I have seen with amateur trained labs.

When we think we have one staunch on the extended sit command, I take them to the cow pasture. Sit the pup and walk away. If he truly understands that he doesn't move until he is given another command, he will soon show true or not.

It won't take the cows long to come investigate and when they start smelling the pup he will either break and buy more training, or he will roll his eyes, get bug eyes and stay no matter what.

When they sit through a cow's inspection, they will sit until you tell them to do something else.

B.C.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2018 11:55 pm
pooch
(@pooch)
Noble Member

I never tried that cow thing. That is interesting. I'm not planning anymore duck hunting so I'll never try the cow pasture trick, but it does sound interesting. I guy might try the same thing with a DT launcher if he doesn't have a ready access to cows. my dogs always went nuts chasing that launched dummy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2018 1:33 am
Share: