Notifications
Clear all

SxS Double Guns  

Page 5 / 5
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Ron,

Are you saying RST & Poly now makes the old #10 Woodcock loads for both my 16 and 28 gauge double guns?  Are they SpredR type or just the regular 2 1/2" shells?  Do they have them in 20 gauge also?  Very interesting talking with you!

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2020 4:01 pm
rjones2306@hotmail.com
(@rjones2306hotmail-com)
Eminent Member

http://www.rstshells.com/store/p/120-16-Ga-2-1/2-Woodcock-Vel-1150-7/8-oz-Load-Box.aspx

Dave:  you'd have to call Morris to make sure which wad he is using in specific loads.  He didn't send me any 16 gauge "Woodcock" loads, but my 20 gauge load is 7/8 ounce of #10 shot and the box has a yellow sticker on the top of the box which says "Spreader".  Didn't disassemble any cases to identify the wad he used.  My 28 gauge loads are 3/4 ounce, and they have a yellow sticker added which says "Brush".  The 28 gauge Woodcock loads he has on his web site are now listed as the original 5/8 ounce load.  None of the listings now mention "spreader" or "Brush" in the description. 

Not familiar with any #10 Woodcock loads made by Polywad.  Went on B & P's web site, and they list woodcock loads with #9.5 shot.  But seems like their shot sizes vary slightly from U.S. shot sizes. 

Ron

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2020 4:36 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Ron,

I have been using the Poly & RST 7 1/2 & 8's SpredR type and have had great results in the Grouse woods with them, I would try the #10 Woodcock shells if they made them, especially in 2 1/2" 20 gauge. Thanks for the input buddy I appreciate your knowledge.

Just ordered another mixed case of RST SpredR shells, Poly SpredR's are out of stock at Lion Country right now.  Looks like the China Virus has had an effect on the supply chain, with things being shut down for a while.  The RST shells were delivered yesterday for this years bird hunting.  I also need to eventually order some 12 gauge #8 RST or Poly SpredR's for my #4 & #5 L.C. Smith double guns, ordered the sub-gauge stuff but negated to order the 12 gauge shells.  I do like the soft shooting RST 12 gauge shells very much.

Dave B L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 9 months ago 5 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2020 4:52 pm
4575wcf
(@4575wcf)

Hey All

New member 4575wcf here.  There is a beauty of a Syracuse Arms ejector 16 on GI right now.  It has been messed up a bit which brings the price down to a reasonable approx $800.  Has had a pad fitted and the wood refurbished, but a very nice job of it.  Just the right amount of engraving, not overdone.  Only problem it is a damascus that has been blued over.  Sleeved for steel barrels, or having a new barrel assembly fitted would not hurt the value at all at this point, and then you would have your low pressure shooter.  Not many of these around.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 23, 2020 11:58 am
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

4575wcf,

GI number please?

Pine Creek/Dave

L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 23, 2020 12:31 pm
4575wcf
(@4575wcf)

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 23, 2020 6:01 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

I believe the gun has a severe crack in the butt stock, to bad too it is a nice old Syracuse Grade 3, 16 gauge double gun.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 24, 2020 4:27 pm
4575wcf
(@4575wcf)

Missed the crack. Buttstock is refinished, pad installed, wood is a goner anyway.  Good negotiation point for.our friend looking for entry level double.  Acraglass will sturdy up the worst.of them pending replacement.   Whoever polished the receiver was good with the wheels.  Lettering on my Hollenbeck trigger plate is almost obscured from just patina and age.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 24, 2020 5:22 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Right on the money, a very good negotiation point for purchasing the gun and restoring it.  A good Stocker could restore the gun and make it a great field gun once again.  From constantly looking at Classic guns I picked up on the cracked stock almost immediately.  In reality this could be a good gun to restore for the 1st timer wanting a Classic 16 gauge double gun.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

[img] [/img]

This post was modified 8 months ago by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2020 11:34 am
4575wcf
(@4575wcf)

You are right Dave.  That is not a crack that is a break.  Fix is to drill up through the pistol grip, install a long lag screw to pull it together seamlessly and  glass it all in.  Then a matching plug if the gun hasn't a grip cap.  Would hold as long as needed.  I bet our guy could get this one down to the $700 range.  I sure love that engraving job.  If I bought it I would sleeve it with used 16 gauge steel barrels, modified/modified for chukar partridge, stock it, take the frame polish out to wore out 600 grit to get the lines flowing in the right direction, re-case and rust blue.  I jyst can't lose focus on the current Smith though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2020 9:18 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

IMO have a good stocker replace the stocks with something really nice to up grade the gun a little, can't see saving a stock in this condition, especially if the purchaser owns a nice hunk of old French Walnut Wood already.

Just my way of thinking.

all the best,

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 26, 2020 11:15 am
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Prominent Member

That stock is toast, and junk...I can't understand any attempt to fix it.  Best to replace it.

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 29, 2020 10:31 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Further North,

I agree 100% if you purchase the gun you are going to need to have the stock replaced and on an L.C. Smith gun you are talking some serious money.  Especially if you want some nice wood.  I would use the stock replacement as a major bargaining point, and pick the gun up as inexpensively as possible.  If you do not have a Syracuse gun this is a chance to add one to your double gun collection and pick your own replacement stock.  I am not fond of the work done on the old Damascus barrels either, or I would be looking harder at the gun myself.

Dave B. L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 5 months ago 3 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2020 6:45 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Ron,

Hope you got out and did some bird hunting with your NID 16 gauge double gun, we had a great Grouse season here in Potter County, Pa this year, better than in the UP for sure.  Bird contact above 4 birds an hour.  Best it has been in 4 years.  Never did get my hands on any of the RST #10 Woodcock shells, would like to have a box or two to see what they are going to due in the woods!

I wanted to invite you and your buddy who owns the nice L.C. Smith guns, down for Grouse and Woodcock hunting this next coming season.  Would love to have you guys visit and take a walk thru the Grouse woods with us.

Dave B L.C. Smith Man

1898 L.C. Smith special made #2 20 gauge double gun, fully sleeved by Briley for 28 gauge modern shells.  A one of a kind L.C. Smith double gun, built on a regular frame.  Yes it does exist.  

[img] [/img]

This post was modified 4 months ago 5 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : December 24, 2020 4:42 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Ron,

Have not seen you posting for a while, are you ok?  

all the best,

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 28, 2021 2:56 pm
Page 5 / 5
Share: