Reloading pistol cartridges  

RSS
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

Anyone here reload pistol ?????  Thinking about purchasing a new reloading press,  any ideas.   Looking at new 

HORNADY - LOCK-N-LOAD IRON PRESS

Recently got into 45 long colt, one big cartridge and bullet, should be fun, undecided about powder choice.?????

Would like to get into Cowboy Action shooting, but not impressed about getting all dolled up in a cowboy apparel/ensemble and of will need a nick name/handle.  What you think about my new sobriquet???????

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago 4 times by Junnie

Once a man, twice a child....

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 27, 2018 12:08 pm
Pete Houser
(@pete-houser)
Estimable Member

I recently got my first pistol, a Bond derringer in .45 long colt.  I want it for snakes and for self defense when camped out in my trailer.  I used Trail Boss because it is perfect for light loads -  hard to throw an overload.  I also purchased light Acme lead bullets.

Pete Houser

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2018 6:45 pm
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member

Junnie, I use a Lee Turret press.  Mostly because with 4 stations, I can crimp or not crimp.  It was about $100.00 as I recall.

Follow Pete's advice on the Trailboss powder.  It's the perfect choice for your application.

It's very popular with the CAS guys.

Also, with grandchildren, you can produce reduced recoil rifle rounds in large capacity cases with Trailboss.  It's very bulky.  Kinda looks like little Spaghetti O's to me.

"Chemists make good solutions" 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2018 9:21 am
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

Thanks for the information.  Pondering purchasing a rifle in 45 Colt...  Taylor and Company offer many replicas..  

Have a rifle range not to0 far from the house, only problem no 50 yard range, either 100 up to 500.  Doubt I could hit anything at 50 off hand, perhaps from a bench 😉   No way can I shoot prone or sitting, way to many surgeries on my legs.  🙁 

I really like the revolver replicas, and rifles.   Hopefully will reload a bunch rounds this winter and shoot this spring.  For sure will start reloading 410 and 28 shells.   I still like 20/28 powder for the 28's.....  anyone have a tried and true 28 reload data????

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2018 11:24 am
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

Looked up the data about Trailboss, just about the same ballistics as Unique.  I've dropped hundreds of pounds of Unique over the years, a very versatile powder.  Will load both powders and do a comparative analysis .......   

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2018 5:14 pm
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member

Trail boss is the bulkiest powder I have ever seen.

There is no way to over charge a pistol cartridge because there is no room in the case.

It looks like cheerio's.

Meters great too.

"Chemists make good solutions" 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2018 9:38 pm
Superposed
(@superposed)
Eminent Member

I load 9 mm on a Dillon 550 progressive press primarily because I don't have a lot of time to spend at the bench and I shoot a relatively large volume of that caliber. I load .38, 45 ACP, and 40 S&W on an old 3 hole Lee turret press that seems to be indestructible. I have spare turrets for it  and can switch calibers in a matter of seconds once the dies are set up the first time.

I know a couple of guys who use the Hornady press and they seem to like them really well. It's been a popular choice for a number of years and I think they co.st a little less than the Dillon. I agree strongly with Greg T about the Lee. Unless you are going to load a lot on a tight schedule it's all you need and a little easier to learn on. Probably the best value out there.

I use Winchester 231 for all of those calibers. It's a very versatile powder and the Hodgedon site has data for 45 LC. That said, the other guy's are right about Trailboss and if your concerned at all about double charging a case it is a great option.

Be sure to spend a few extra bucks and get carbide dies. It'll save you the hassle of case lube.

I'd like to have a lever gun and a revolver in 45 LC too. We started shooting Steel Challenge at my local club this year and we have a division for pistol caliber cowboy rifles. I've watched a couple of our SASS guy's shoot theirs and it looks like it would be a blast.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2018 11:41 pm
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

Thanks for the information:  Good point about Trailboss, it fills the case up, therefore a much better ignition.   I've loaded pistol for years, my nephew stole my press several years ago.  So, I'll purchase a new one.  Have all the other stuff, several scales, powder drops etc.   Didn't Elmer Keith develop the 44 magnum out of the 45 Colt or 44 Russian????

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2018 12:36 pm
Share: