Made a deal on an Antique 16 Gauge Crescent Hammer Gun  

Page 1 / 5
  RSS
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Gentlemen,

Just recently I made a deal on an antique 16 gauge Crescent Hammer Gun, to add to the double gun collection that I use for hunting Grouse, Woodcock and Pheasants.  I have been looking for this particular American made Hammer Gun with with DT, 28" barrels and 2 1/2 chambers at a reasonable price, for quite some time.  The antique American made double gun is in good shape with near perfect barrels, and I am planning to restore the  stocks myself.  The gun has some decent American Walnut wood on it.  

Having gifted my L.C. Smith 16 Gauge Hammer Gun to another man, I missed having a nice 16 gauge Hammer Gun to bird hunt with, this American made antique Hammer Gun fits the bill to a tee.  I wanted an American classic 16 gauge Hammer Gun not a remake or a modern gun.  It ended up taking me a lot longer to find this particular gun, than I thought it should have.   Even with the on line stores, I could not find the antique Hammer  Gun I wanted. Finally found an individual owner that would sell me the antique 16 gauge Crescent gun I wanted.  Still looking for the antique Crescent 28 gauge Hammer gun at a reasonable price however.

A late Christmas present to myself for sure. - Pictures of the gun when it arrives.

Classic American double guns, ya got to love em.

Dave B. - L.C. Smith Man

This topic was modified 2 months ago by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
Posted : January 9, 2019 6:32 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Reputable Member

Glad you're excited about your new Crescent hammer gun, and enjoy hunting grouse, woodcock and pheasant with it.

Damascus, or steel barrels?

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2019 7:43 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Geoff,

Steel Barrels.

Dave B. - L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2019 10:39 am
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Reputable Member

Cool.  Looking forward to pictures when you get it.

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2019 12:27 pm
Crazy Horse RVN
(@crazy-horse-rvn)
Estimable Member

As pertains to this subject I recently saw an add saying that Fausti was producing a SxS hammer gun I believe in 20 gauge. I wonder how much interest there will be in this country as opposed to Europe where hammer guns are much more prevalent.?

http://www.faustiarms.com/prodotto.php?cat=1&id=103

This post was modified 2 months ago by Crazy Horse RVN

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 19, 2019 11:17 am
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

Thanks for showing...

Beautiful item, but not for me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 19, 2019 11:50 am
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Crazy Horse RVN,

Did you happen see the new price on that Fausti Hammer Gun, say one in 16 or 28 Gauge.  She is a beauty for sure!

Would loved to have had one of his original Fausti 28 or 16 Hammer Guns.   Never saw one close up, even when I picked up my original 12 from his factory long ago.

Dave B. - L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 2 months ago by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 19, 2019 5:23 pm
Buford
(@bernacki)
Estimable Member

Yes, that looks like a nice gun.  I would go for a 20 since so far I haven't seen anything above 1 ounce in bismuth in 16, which is the same loading in the 20.  Yes, I know the 16 might pattern better but I would rather have the lighter gun.  I am essentially limited to no-tox for upland where I live, hence my interest in bismuth shot.  I don't need another 12.   A modern hammer gun would be slick.

Bruce

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 19, 2019 8:06 pm
Duckys Dad
(@duckys-dad)
Honorable Member

A few years ago I scored a Sarasqueta hammer 20 with 32" barrels.  Was extremely pleased with myself until I realized I couldn't hit squat with it.  Too nice to part with, so I'm hoping that I can adjust to it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 19, 2019 9:31 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Reputable Member
Posted by: Crazy Horse RVN

As pertains to this subject I recently saw an add saying that Fausti was producing a SxS hammer gun I believe in 20 gauge. I wonder how much interest there will be in this country as opposed to Europe where hammer guns are much more prevalent.?

http://www.faustiarms.com/prodotto.php?cat=1&id=103

I'm interested, but this picture isn't flattering:

Barrels look short and fat, and it's as thick through the wrist as a recent presidential candidate is through the ankles... 😉 

I'm sure it looks better in 16, 20 or 28, with 28" barrels...but IMO, that's the least photogenic model they could have chosen of the bunch...it'd be like picking Oprah to model a swimsuit when you had a chance to have Alessandra Ambrosio help sell it...

I'm also a little puzzled by the lack of a safety.  All the other modern hammer guns I've seen in quite a while have one, including the SIACE 20 gauge I had for a while...

We all walk through the woods with our guns cocked, can't think of a reason why any modern gun would skip a simple safety.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2019 12:21 am
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Geoff,

I believe I read someplace that this particular Hammer Gun is a reproduction of the Fausti original built in 1948, it had no safe on the original gun, you walked thru the woods with the Breech open and the Hammers cocked.  When the dog went on point you set up and then closed the breech for a live action bird gun.

My L.C. Smith 1913 16 Gauge Hammer Gun had no safe, just like this Fausti Reproduction.

Dave B. - L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 2 months ago by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2019 11:30 am
Buford
(@bernacki)
Estimable Member

For years I have read on this and other boards folks talking about walking with an open gun while hunting for the ultimate in safety.  They must hunt in different terrain than I do.  I gun for AKC hunt test at our club and I do walk up to the handler with the gun open when the dog is on point and then I close the gun just prior to the flush.  With the barrels facing downward of course and rotating the stock up towards the breach in the rare event of an accidental discharge.  But "rough shooting?"  No way.  I have taken more than one header in the field and I jettison the gun in front of me on my way down.  That wouldn't be great for the health of an open break-action gun. Maybe when you get off the mule wagon on a Georgia plantation.  For this hammer gun?  Just don't cock the hammers until the dog is on point prior to the flush.  Can't get safer than that.  And if it's a wild flush and you can't get the hammers cocked fast enough?  Just remember what I tell my hunting partners:  we're not at war with the pheasants.  It's OK if some get away.

Bruce

This post was modified 2 months ago 3 times by Buford
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2019 1:47 pm
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

I've hunted over some fine Setters and Pointers, beautiful hard work bird dogs.  Never ever have taken the safety off until the bird was in the air.  Absolutely no need, unless you're a bumbling idiot.  You'll only hunt once with me if I see this.  Thanks.  

Once a man, twice a child....

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2019 1:52 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Reputable Member
Posted by: Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

Geoff,

I believe I read someplace that this particular Hammer Gun is a reproduction of the Fausti original built in 1948, it had no safe on the original gun, you walked thru the woods with the Breech open and the Hammers cocked. When the dog went on point you set up and then closed the breech for a live action bird gun.

My L.C. Smith 1913 16 Gauge Hammer Gun had no safe, just like this Fausti Reproduction.

Dave B. - L.C. Smith Man

Interesting background, Dave, thanks.

Posted by: Buford

For years I have read on this and other boards folks talking about walking with an open gun while hunting for the ultimate in safety. They must hunt in different terrain than I do. I gun for AKC hunt test at our club and I do walk up to the handler with the gun open when the dog is on point and then I close the gun just prior to the flush. With the barrels facing downward of course and rotating the stock up towards the breach in the rare event of an accidental discharge. But "rough shooting?" No way. I have taken more than one header in the field and I jettison the gun in front of me on my way down. That wouldn't be great for the health of an open break-action gun. Maybe when you get off the mule wagon on a Georgia plantation. For this hammer gun? Just don't cock the hammers until the dog is on point prior to the flush. Can't get safer than that. And if it's a wild flush and you can't get the hammers cocked fast enough? Just remember what I tell my hunting partners: we're not at war with the pheasants. It's OK if some get away.

Bruce

I hunt the same way, and gunned for hunt tests the same way you did. Not cocking the hammers would work, if you always hunt over a pointing dog. While my dogs are pointing breeds, not all of my friend's are.

Posted by: Junnie

I've hunted over some fine Setters and Pointers, beautiful hard work bird dogs.  Never ever have taken the safety off until the bird was in the air.  Absolutely no need, unless you're a bumbling idiot.  You'll only hunt once with me if I see this.  Thanks.  

Same here. Decades of repetition has me to a place where the safety goes off on the way up, and back on on the way down...and then I double check it anyway.

I even tend to shoot clays that way, but not always.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2019 3:26 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Reputable Member

Dave, when does your Crescent get to you?

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2019 3:27 pm
Page 1 / 5

Share: