Forum

Notifications
Clear all

L.C. Smith Article: (I had to change this)  

Page 4 / 4
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Famed Member

@christopher-smith

Researching recipes for "grouse with bacon" turned up quite a few. I'd say that indicates that grouse are eaten with bacon.

Likes and dislikes abound - I prefer my old ham with beaten biscuits, but you won't find such a biscuit in very many locales.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Moonshine
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 5, 2021 9:33 pm
christopher smith
(@christopher-smith)
Eminent Member

@moonshine

In southern West Virginia biscuits are held in high regard and arguments about “best” can draw more controversy than shotguns or bird dogs. 

So, to get this thing started, what the heck is a beaten biscuit?

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2021 5:54 am
Forest McVay
(@forest-mcvay)
Famed Member

Biscuits, what ham should actually be, cornbread and much more will all raise opinions.

I believe appeal most often hinges upon use regarding a biscuit. A biscuit that falls to pieces can be unappealing and a biscuit that requires more in time and preparation can also be unappealing. There should be room in a week for them all.

I can only say that if God had meant for there to be sugar in cornbread, he would have called it corn cake. [not original, this time :-)]

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2021 7:21 am
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Famed Member
Posted by: @thornton

Biscuits, what ham should actually be, cornbread and much more will all raise opinions.

I believe appeal most often hinges upon use regarding a biscuit. A biscuit that falls to pieces can be unappealing and a biscuit that requires more in time and preparation can also be unappealing. There should be room in a week for them all.

I can only say that if God had meant for there to be sugar in cornbread, he would have called it corn cake. [not original, this time :-)]

Re: biscuits - see below.

We ate corn cakes all the time growing up. Lovely!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2021 8:57 am
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Famed Member

@christopher-smith

In your part of southern WV, do you know about salt rising bread? I do hope so, because if you don't, you have been deprived. Look up Salt Rising Bakery in Mt. Morris, up towards Wheeling.

Now - BEATEN BISCUITS!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaten_biscuit

Wiki version -

https://www.google.com/search?ei=ZX5DYMe0M8yUtAaypID4CA&q=biscuit+brake&oq=biscuit+brake&gs_lcp=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&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

How to....

https://gardenandgun.com/recipe/the-art-of-the-beaten-biscuit/

More...

https://atasteofhistorywithjoycewhite.blogspot.com/2015/03/maryland-beaten-biscuits.html?m=1

Definitely a regional food, peculiar, so far as I know ,to Maryland and parts of Kentucky.

See references above to learn.

You'll find references to a "biscuit brake." I cannot post images here, but my mother had one - it's now in our museum - a marble-topped cabinet with a set of hand-cranked rollers mounted. Watch out! Don't pinch your fingers! You can google up an image.

Eating old ham on beaten biscuits, with transparent tarts for afters is an old social and family tradition in this area. And salt rising toast for breakfast! Awfully hard to beat.

If you have more questions after searching out the above, shoot 'em here!

All best! Stay well!

Thanks for asking!!!

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by Moonshine
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2021 9:05 am
Forest McVay
(@forest-mcvay)
Famed Member
Posted by: @moonshine
Posted by: @thornton

Re: biscuits - see below.

We ate corn cakes all the time growing up. Lovely!

I would agree that corn cakes are good...with the "cake" referring to shape and servings size, eh? Eh, maybe not...mebbe so.

Corn bread, with or without sugar, is...most often...cooked as a whole in a skillit or pan and then divided into servings. There can be differences in both the ingredients and in the method of cooking for each.

Takeaway?....lot of good food of that type from which to choose. If preferring, I would prefer fried mursh over biscuits or corn cake or bread.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2021 9:10 am
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Famed Member

@thornton

We often had mush...with butter and syrup, for lunch on a Saturday. Sometimes served with turkey hash after a holiday. Yum.

Ever have a corn dodger? Baked flat and HARD! Dad loved 'em, so I did, too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2021 9:14 am
Forest McVay
(@forest-mcvay)
Famed Member

Never had a corn dodger, no...heard of them, just never dealt that hand.

Food is indeed one of the great memory prompters!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2021 9:40 am
christopher smith
(@christopher-smith)
Eminent Member

@thornton

Well, I have apparently led a sheltered life. 

The best biscuits in the Charleston area are Suzi’s in South Charleston and Tudor’s Biscuit World, which are all over the place.  Southern Kitchen was great but they closed down several years ago.  I am confident these are not beaten biscuits.

Since moving to Shepherdstown, I have not located a suitable biscuit. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2021 10:15 am
Forest McVay
(@forest-mcvay)
Famed Member

I was working at Pennzoil in the mid 70s into the early 80s and often went thru that noted area going on down to the wonderland of Lincoln county. As I recall Tudors first opened in that period in WV....later, of course, the typical WV politico Oshel Craigo got  involved in the business. 🙂

For me tho, Tudors are loaded with salt...not for me but the options there are nearly endless. Homemade, buttermilk, worked very little and packed in a cast iron skillit are my preference in a biscuit.

Memories kindled with the mention of south charleston...Stayed in Smileys motel whilst watching rigs, ate ribs at the future mayor's rib joint nearby and had the police pull me over when I was transporting a 2 drawer file cabinet...they thought it was a safe but, it was 3 AM.

That area also was the first ever I saw a book burning....snake handlers and book burners are somewhat common. Ah, well, sorry for the diversion.

*had to correct spellin'

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2021 1:24 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Chris,

I have heard of this Bacon wrap while cooking Grouse, I doubt I will ever try it.  Garhart has a nice way to fix Grouse, cutting the breast into strips and pan frying it in mix he uses.  I am going to give this a try with some home made Biscuits up at the log cabin some time.  No Bacon in the mix.  I am one of those serious Grouse hunters for sure.

all the best,

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 1 month ago by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2021 3:25 pm
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member

Oh, the mention of salt rising bread!

My wife introduced it to me when we were dating

Her family have been eating it since they were in this country.

Letters written during that time of great misfortune were saved, referencing how lonesome he was for some of Gertrude’s salt rising bread.

Since it is neither popular nor common in the Great Lakes region, I have a connection through a friend that keeps us on a list at a local bakery. And when she gets 32 loaves accounted for, she makes a batch.

Sometimes the strength of the starter varies, therefore when making my morning toast, the smell either rouses me, or ruins the ceiling paint.

Such a joy I find it.

"Chemists make good solutions" 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 7, 2021 4:48 pm
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Famed Member

@greg-t

Great! I guess we didn't get into salt rising bread when you visited here to shoot clays with us. My Long Island son and family were here a couple of weeks ago - one of the things we talked about was this. I had run across this place - https://risingcreekbakery.com/ - in Mt. Morris, WV. Ended up buying both some of their bread and three copies of their book. Two of the books went to sons in Tucson and LI; we have the other one here.

My bride doesn't think the WV bread is quite as good as what we get from a local Amish bakery.

Our LI son tried his hand at it as soon as he got his copy of the book. His first effort with started, sponge, and baked bread was a total, A-one, success.

All best, Greg, stay as well as you can. Good to see your posts here on the Slam after you sent me your story and photos.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 8, 2021 9:13 am
Page 4 / 4
Share: