Favorite rifle cartridge  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Gentlemen,

I have no idea as to exactly when Frank Hillsmen and his family were smuggled out of Germany by my Grandfather and his friends in Germany , I was told before the war started, don't know if that meant our participation in the war or before 39.  I doubt you will find any records on the Hillsmen family and work shop, I do know this, his work shop was part of his home.

I had some pictures of my gun, I will try to find one of them.  I did post a picture one time but can't remember on which forum, May have been the old SSBB before Ralph upgraded it.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2019 12:18 am
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

Anecdotal stories may be entertaining, but, unless verifiable, they are simply no more than that - just like most historical fiction.

Several browser searches turn up no mention of anyone whose name comes close to being “Frank Hillsmen.”

Does not mean he didn’t exist; just that wide sweeps across time haven’t found the name 

A search for assassination plots against Winston S Churchill are a little more fruitful, but none such as you described have turned up.

Take a look yourself.

Having been involved in museum management since the early ‘70s, one takes research and verification seriously.

An example is an upcoming research trip to MESDA, Winston-Salem, along with an artist and a historian, in exploratory examination of artifacts and materials for a painting commissioned for a museum.

”Trust (if you must), but verify.”

This post was modified 5 months ago 2 times by Moonshine
ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2019 6:36 am
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Estimable Member

Back to the endless silence we go.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2019 9:45 am
Crazy Horse RVN
(@crazy-horse-rvn)
Estimable Member

The Germans may have used the 257 Mauser for a sniper rifle but you must remember that the Germans lost two world wars....in a row.  ;~)

This post was modified 5 months ago by Crazy Horse RVN

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2019 9:54 am
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

But not due to the use or lack of use of any particular weapon...!

A true non sequitur.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2019 10:55 am
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Gentlemen,

In any case I like the .257 Roberts, whether you happen to like it is your personal opinion.  I could care less if any information on Frank Hillsmen exists on this foolish machine, which some people believe tells all history, which is incredibly insane in itself.  

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2019 12:05 pm
Lee Sykes liked
Cortes
(@cortes)
Estimable Member

I just decided to go with something new. I bought a new rifle in 6.5 Creedmore. Shoots great by my standards, right out of the box. That said, the deer population in Virginia is under no threat. Cheers, CP

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2019 3:57 pm
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Estimable Member

I've read up on it some.   At the range where it holds any advantage over the .308,  I probably couldn't see a deer, let alone hit it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2019 8:23 pm
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

257 Roberts was perhaps a necked down 7.92 X 57 ????  

"Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2019 11:10 am
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Estimable Member
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

One classic rifle.....

"Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2019 9:03 pm
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

I took my 1903 Springfield shooting at the 100 yard range the other day.  Haven't pulled the trigger on a large bore rifle in over 50 years, perhaps September 1967 RSVN then shooting a 5.56    Not even close in recoil to the 06.  This baby kicks like a Missouri Mule.

After several shots, muscle memory kicked in and layed in several X ring shots.   It was Grand fun, can't wait till I receive my M1 Garand from CMP.   Tried off hand, no way, bobed and weave a figure eight..  Perhaps once I figure out how to set up a Hasty sling, I will hit paper at 100. 😊 😊 😊 😊

This post was modified 4 months ago 3 times by Junnie

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/04/2019 6:16 pm
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Estimable Member

I have owned several rifles in 30-06 and always enjoyed shooting them.  You might try a little trick I have used while shooting an old steel buttplated (or excessively light) rifle from the bench.  Use your wallet as an imprompto recoil pad.  It makes quite a difference. 

This post was modified 4 months ago by Lee Sykes
ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/04/2019 12:31 am
Cortes
(@cortes)
Estimable Member

Well shucks guys, I will confess that I find more rifle shooting joy in my little Anschutz .22 than any of the centerfire guns. I no longer hunt anything bigger than quail and the occasional pheasant and the little .22 is such a plinking pleasure. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/04/2019 10:01 am
Lee Sykes liked
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

Well!!!!!!   I haven't killed {anything} in over ten years or so, once was a avid upland bird killer, when I had dogs.  Now I shoot targets.

Sporting Clays mostly now I got into big bore rifles.  I'm amazed how anyone can hit a target the size of a basketball at 500 hundred yards.  I was looking, just looking at some 300 yard targets, they look like a tiny dot, perhaps I'll shoot at it sometime soon, should be miracle if I hit paper... 😊 😊 😊 😊 😊 😊 😮   In 1966 when I qualified with the M14, shot ten bulls at 500, of course I was a couple days younger. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 

Anyone recommend a quality spotting scope that doesn't cost thousands ?????

Yes indeed the Anschutz is one quality rifle, wish I had one.  

This post was modified 4 months ago by Junnie

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/04/2019 6:32 pm
Page 2 / 3

Share: