Favorite rifle cartridge  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Gentlemen,

I have no idea as to exactly when Frank Hillsmen and his family were smuggled out of Germany by my Grandfather and his friends in Germany , I was told before the war started, don't know if that meant our participation in the war or before 39.  I doubt you will find any records on the Hillsmen family and work shop, I do know this, his work shop was part of his home.

I had some pictures of my gun, I will try to find one of them.  I did post a picture one time but can't remember on which forum, May have been the old SSBB before Ralph upgraded it.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2019 12:18 am
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

Anecdotal stories may be entertaining, but, unless verifiable, they are simply no more than that - just like most historical fiction.

Several browser searches turn up no mention of anyone whose name comes close to being “Frank Hillsmen.”

Does not mean he didn’t exist; just that wide sweeps across time haven’t found the name 

A search for assassination plots against Winston S Churchill are a little more fruitful, but none such as you described have turned up.

Take a look yourself.

Having been involved in museum management since the early ‘70s, one takes research and verification seriously.

An example is an upcoming research trip to MESDA, Winston-Salem, along with an artist and a historian, in exploratory examination of artifacts and materials for a painting commissioned for a museum.

”Trust (if you must), but verify.”

This post was modified 1 week ago 2 times by Moonshine
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2019 6:36 am
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Trusted Member

Back to the endless silence we go.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2019 9:45 am
Crazy Horse RVN
(@crazy-horse-rvn)
Estimable Member

The Germans may have used the 257 Mauser for a sniper rifle but you must remember that the Germans lost two world wars....in a row.  ;~)

This post was modified 1 week ago by Crazy Horse RVN

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2019 9:54 am
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

But not due to the use or lack of use of any particular weapon...!

A true non sequitur.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2019 10:55 am
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Gentlemen,

In any case I like the .257 Roberts, whether you happen to like it is your personal opinion.  I could care less if any information on Frank Hillsmen exists on this foolish machine, which some people believe tells all history, which is incredibly insane in itself.  

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2019 12:05 pm
Lee Sykes liked
Cortes
(@cortes)
Estimable Member

I just decided to go with something new. I bought a new rifle in 6.5 Creedmore. Shoots great by my standards, right out of the box. That said, the deer population in Virginia is under no threat. Cheers, CP

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2019 3:57 pm
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Trusted Member

I've read up on it some.   At the range where it holds any advantage over the .308,  I probably couldn't see a deer, let alone hit it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2019 8:23 pm
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

257 Roberts was perhaps a necked down 7.92 X 57 ????  

Once a man, twice a child....

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 14, 2019 11:10 am
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Trusted Member
Page 2 / 2

Share: