Forum

Notifications
Clear all

F. Massi Shotgun...do any of you know of this maker??  

Ingwe
(@ingwe)

I just acquired a really nice scalloped box lock, non-ejector, 12ga, s/s shotgun, by the Italian maker Fausto Massi of Vincezna, Italy. The action is coin finished with game scenes, and stock is straight style with rather plain wood. Barrels are marked, "Accacio Krupp Steel Barrels. Flats have Italian proof marks and are also stamped "1947" so I'm assuming the gun was made in 1947.

I did a pretty thorough Google search which didn't yield much...Fausto Massi was an Italian Gunmaker who made a limited amount of guns, etc, some of which were imported by Champlin Arms in the 1970's.

Besides what I found on Google, I am hoping that some of you here have some knowledge on Fausto Massi and wouldn't mind sharing it with me.

It's a really pretty, well made gun that I am lucky to have found!

Topic starter Posted : July 27, 2017 3:39 pm
Leon670
(@leon670)
Prominent Member

I'll bet it's a nice gun. Those Italian boxlocks tend to be pretty generic (still are). V. Bernardelli was making guns back then as well and I'll bet they are very similar. V. Bernardelli made very good guns and the older ones were the nicest.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 27, 2017 5:16 pm
Ingwe
(@ingwe)

I'll bet it's a nice gun. Those Italian boxlocks tend to be pretty generic (still are). V. Bernardelli was making guns back then as well and I'll bet they are very similar. V. Bernardelli made very good guns and the older ones were the nicest.

Thanks for the reply Leon!

Yes it is a pretty nice/basic Italian boxlock similar to the Bernardelli's of the same era.
I compared it to a similar Belgium gun I have, and the superior build quality and workmanship is pretty evident.

I'm guessing then that Signore Massi was just another small or 1 man show Italian gunmaker who went out on his own and produced a small quantity of guns during his era....there is really nothing on the internet about him.

That's what fascinates me about these old guns...they all have a story to tell.

Bravo e' grazie mille Signore Massi:)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 27, 2017 7:04 pm
Larry Brown
(@larry-brown)
Illustrious Member

Ingwe, Champlin Arms is still very much in business. You might want to try contacting them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 27, 2017 11:14 pm
Emma
 Emma
(@emma)

I was browsing in internet the other day when I came across this message in "Shooting Sportsman", asking information about Mr. Fausto Massi, gun maker. I'm his daughter. The gun you have is one of the first ones he made. He was a pilot/mechanic with the Italian air force for 20 years, and after the war, being out of a job, decided to go into business repairing guns. After a while he sold his shoes to buy the material to make his first shotgun. He was a very meticulous artisan, more interested in the quality of the work than the profit. If he was making a screw for example and someone came into the shop, that person had to wait or come back later. The work he was most proud of was when he made a gun for a very small man(less than four feet tall), who had a passion for hunting but couldn't find anyone to make a gun that fit him. Fausto invented his own single trigger mechanism, using the recoil off the gun to make it work. He had patents out in several European countries for this system and after they expired, other gunmakers copied it, including I believe, Perazzi. I have one of my father's last guns, a double barrel, side by side 12 gauge, one of his best works. By the way, it's true that Fausto collaborated with Champlin firearms for a few years. When he was most active, he had a few good artisans working for him and his shop handled Winchesters business for northern Italy (he had a retail business in Vicenza).I hope this information has been helpful to you. Your's Truly Emma Massi       P.S. My father passed away in 1989. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

foto sd 049
foto sd 047
foto sd 044
foto sd 042
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 12, 2019 9:44 am
Lee Sykes liked
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Emma,

Thanks much for telling us about your Father, quite a man.  Cherish your memories of him.  I will look to pick up one of his SXS double guns, they sound fantastic.  Did Fausto make any 16 or 28 gauge guns?

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 3 years ago by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 12, 2019 2:00 pm
lwest
(@lwest)

I acquired a Fausto Massi sxs 12 gauge marked XVI which I believe is 1960, heavily engraved and beautiful.  I am trying to find out more about the man and his business.  Champlin imported o/u between 1972 and 1977, 150 all told according to Champlin but they had no further information.  I would really like to communicate with his daughter, Emma, to find out more details for a biography of the man.  He may have produced only a few guns (probably less than 700 or 800) throughout his lifetime but the man deserves more than a footnote in history.  Emma, if you are out there please contact me.  I have lots of questions.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 8, 2021 4:17 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

@lwest,

If you are able to contact Emma please let us know any further historical information on her father and his gun makings, I am very interested.  Looks like he made some very nice high quality side lock double guns.  I will start looking to acquire one, I am hoping he made some 16 and 28 gauge double guns.

all the best,

Dave B. - L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 10:19 am
lwest
(@lwest)

I tried sending her a message through this board but was not allowed.  If anyone can send her a message to contact me, that would be great.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 12:18 pm
Share: