CSMC - New Gun  

Page 6 / 7 Prev Next
  RSS
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Reputable Member
Posted by: john mcg

I enjoy the processes of thinking about, talking about and searching about when a new gun is considered.

The chase is as fun as the catching...sort of. I suspect others may as well and the enabling.

🙂

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the enabling.  Not much is more fun than spending Other People's Money. 😉 

I spent 30-some years chasing shotguns...got it dialed down to one early season gun and one clays gun that doubles (pun intended) as a late season pheasant gun.

Both are new-ish, durable, well balanced (for how I like them to be), fast and shoot where I look.  I Kinda lost interest n spending my own cash after that, though there's a lingering possibility I could get interested inthe right small-gauge gun if I tripped over it... but chasing boats, fly rods and other fishing stuff has taken possession of my attention these last few years and I don't see that changing.

I've helped a good friend into an AyA 53, and an RBL in the past couple years, I'm having enough fun with that for now.

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2018 9:45 pm john mcg liked
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Eminent Member

Thank you--for the tips.

I was looking around the Rizinni site--again.

I have done that.  A 550 in 28 is a siren song.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 8, 2018 5:41 am john mcg liked
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member

I’ll be right back.

lol

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 8, 2018 7:00 am
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member
Posted by: Lee Sykes

Thank you--for the tips.

A bit out of my comfort range...nice.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 8, 2018 7:07 am
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Reputable Member

John, what have you looked at in 28"?

I really liked the AyA #2 28 that Cabela's imported, and even the Cabela's version of the AyA 4/53.

Many of them had longer barrels, which suits me.

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 8, 2018 10:02 am
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member

The standards.

🙂

Rizinni, Beretta, Browning, Ruger, Dickinson-- Cheap stuff.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 8, 2018 11:37 am
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Eminent Member
Posted by: Lee Sykes

Thank you--for the tips.

A bit out of my comfort range...nice.

Mine too but fun to dream.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 8, 2018 11:14 pm
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member

Yes it is. Fun to dream. Any thoughts on the Franchi Instinct?

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2018 7:38 am
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member

While we are dreaming...these Fabarms are gorgeous.

ELOS Deluxe and ELOS Deluxe AL

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2018 8:39 am
Buford
(@bernacki)
Estimable Member

Very nice!  Check out the proof pressure:  1630 bar.  Don't have to worry what you feed it, almost double a typical 900 bar CIP proof pressure.  Like the Rizzinis, offered in alloy frames too for hunters.  The Rizzini BR110 in 28 gauge in steel is 6 pounds, which is a fine weight for me.  I wouldn't want anything over 6.5 pounds for a field gun.

Bruce

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2018 11:57 am
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member
Posted by: Buford

Very nice!  Check out the proof pressure:  1630 bar.  Don't have to worry what you feed it, almost double a typical 900 bar CIP proof pressure.  Like the Rizzinis, offered in alloy frames too for hunters.  The Rizzini BR110 in 28 gauge in steel is 6 pounds, which is a fine weight for me.  I wouldn't want anything over 6.5 pounds for a field gun.

Bruce

I hadn't noticed that, but I suppose its a benefit. The Rizinni is closer to my comfortable range as are some others. If I decide to dip my toe into the 28 world, its hard to say what I will end up with--pre-owned perhaps even.

I think it would be a fun turn to take and being wispy weight and me living a linear existence without a reverse gear and looking forward to walking many miles of prairie and such..seems like a reasonable notion. Besides, there is that Harley thing and 'she that must be heard' is good to go with said notion.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2018 1:16 pm
Buford
(@bernacki)
Estimable Member

Some of the alloy-framed 28's are around 5 pounds, which many people find too light.  I have a Benelli 28 that weighs that much.  If the continued drought ever lets up and there is another good Gambel quail year in Arizona, I would like to give that gun a whirl.  At the other extreme, I have a Browning Model 12 clone in 28 that comes in around 7 pounds as I believe they were built on 20 gauge frames, which is a hoot to shoot clays with and the recoil is negligible.  Since it is unaltered and came with a modified choke, if you connect, there is just dust left of the target.  Everybody seems to shoot that gun well.  Lots of options to consider in your quest.

Bruce

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2018 1:39 pm
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member

As Lee has so deftly pointed out, the 28 isn't meant to be a do all choice. I got to thinking about these wee quail and what a somewhat centered load from even a 20 does to a woodcock at semi-close range--flawed as that thinking may be--got me thinking.

And I seem to enjoy things not experienced before. The story of my life. I am flawed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2018 4:35 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Reputable Member

Yes it is. Fun to dream. Any thoughts on the Franchi Instinct?

Very nice. I was impressed, particularly at the price .

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 10, 2018 11:22 am
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Eminent Member
Posted by: Buford

Bruce

I assume that 900 bar is for a 12 gauge, proofed for 1 1/8 oz of shot.  The smaller the bore, the greater the p.s.i.  So it bears no relation to the proof pressure of the 12 bore gun.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 11, 2018 4:38 pm
Page 6 / 7 Prev Next
Share: