Estimable Member

Does in come in 28?

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2018 8:45 am
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Trusted Member

Nope.  Just 20 for now.  I see you getting the 28 gauge bug.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2018 9:09 am john mcg liked
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Reputable Member
Posted by: Lee Sykes

That's even worse than the 16 gauge bug...

I had the 28 gauge thing for a while...then I figured out I could get a 16 that weighed the same and it went away. 😉 

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2018 3:12 pm john mcg liked
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member

I do find it intriguing. Offen strange and new is that.

i think it would be fun and cash will be freed up when the Harley sells.

I truly admire that CSMC, but the 101 is fine for the slot.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2018 5:06 pm
thornton
(@thornton)
Noble Member

John, if you are essentially replacing a Harley then the clear choice would be an "actual" Browning Sweet 16...PB, 26", improved cylinder...... as classic a quail swatting scattergun as one could ever hope to find.

Those OK bobwhites will then be quaking in their mocassins.

By the way, nice problem for which a solution is needed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2018 6:08 pm john mcg liked
Buford
(@bernacki)
Estimable Member

If you are lusting after a 28 gauge in the spirit of the Revelation, you might look at the Rizzini BR110 (it was reviewed by Bruce Buck favorably and you can access the review on this site).  The action of the Revelation is essentially modeled after the Rizzini action.  The barrels hinge on trunions but the lockup is with a sliding underbolt like Brownings, not conical lugs like a Beretta, but he noted in the review that the action is as shallow as a comparable Beretta 28 gauge.  It's the same price as the Revelation (without upgraded wood).  It is built on a scaled frame.  You can also access the Revelation review by Bruce Buck on this site.  I thought very hard about getting a BR110 but I pretty much have to shoot non-tox for pheasant and quail and I don't hunt grouse for which there are no ammo restrictions.  If you want upgraded wood in a production gun, you can check out some of the scaled-frame Beretta 28's sold by Joel Etchen.  He has some nice looking 687 Silver Pigeon V's with case hardened receiver and English-style stock.  A bit more than the Rizzini.

Bruce

This post was modified 1 month ago by Buford
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2018 6:39 pm john mcg liked
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Trusted Member

So, is your shiny new lightweight 16 already orphaned?   I do recommend that you take up reloading if you get a 28.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2018 10:45 pm john mcg liked
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member
Posted by: thornton

John, if you are essentially replacing a Harley then the clear choice would be an "actual" Browning Sweet 16...PB, 26", improved cylinder...... as classic a quail swatting scattergun as one could ever hope to find.

I concluded last year, that I am not a semi guy. They are cool, though and my mind has changed before.

Harley touring much of the country---itch scratched. Time to get back to the woods. Much less risky.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2018 8:42 am
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member

So, is your shiny new lightweight 16 already orphaned?   I do recommend that you take up reloading if you get a 28.

Heck no!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2018 8:43 am
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member

Thank you--for the tips.

I was looking around the Rizinni site--again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2018 8:44 am
thornton
(@thornton)
Noble Member
Posted by: john mcg
Posted by: thornton

I concluded last year, that I am not a semi guy. They are cool, though and my mind has changed before.

Harley touring much of the country---itch scratched. Time to get back to the woods. Much less risky.

There are semi-autos and then there are...semi-autos but I do understand.

Just thought a gun that clanked a bit like a Harley might appeal. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2018 1:23 pm Lee Sykes and john mcg liked
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member

Ya--they do tend to make a decided clunk/clank when shifting gears.

Anyway--I think its time for Gunsmoke.

The BUL did exactly what I asked and such--as has been said, a wand...but I prefer the simplicity and safety of a gun that cracks open for all the honest world to see.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2018 2:00 pm
Buford
(@bernacki)
Estimable Member

Although I own lots of doubles, both SxS and O/U, I must agree and say that I love my Benelli Ultralight for its virtues.  I'm the 90th percentile man and they fit me great out of the box but of course they can be adjusted to fit most people, and since hunting these days is mostly walking and occasional shooting, the 6 pounds is a big plus.  What I like about it is that you can strip the gun down with no tools which is pretty helpful in travel if you get caught in bad weather and a normal person could fix mostly anything on the gun - if it ever broke.  You can feed them anything and don't have to hunt down CIP ammo (although I always shoot B&P, which is CIP level and function is fine). I appreciate the automatic magazine disconnector when you cycle the round out of the chamber which makes the gun safe quickly for breaks and fence climbing. It seems wherever you put the gun down the dogs will find it and stomp on it, so not having a round in battery is essential. I have killed more than a few birds on the 3rd shot also.  I do not notice the mechanical aspects of the action when shooting, and that includes my Browning A-5 Sweet Sixteen too.  Prior to the Benelli, when I was in a slump and it absolutely, positively, had to die, the A-5 got the nod.  I've been shooting my Benelli M2 in 20 gauge so far this season and have dropped every shootable rooster with 1 oz of Kent bismuth, 5's or 6's through a light modified choke.

I like break-open guns for their aesthetics, typically superior handling (although the BUL handles like an O/U) and for dog training and am required to use a break-open gun for AKC event gunning.  I don't field trial but our club sponsors both NSTRA and AKC events and it gives me the willies at NSTRA events with guys running around with their semi-autos and you have no idea whether they are loaded and in battery or not.

Bruce

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2018 2:57 pm
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member

I enjoy the processes of thinking about, talking about and searching about when a new gun is considered.

The chase is as fun as the catching...sort of. I suspect others may as well and the enabling.

🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2018 7:29 pm
Page 5 / 7 Prev Next
Share: