I'll ditto three shots......  

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 27, 2019 7:36 pm
3 Shots are Better
(@3-shots-are-better)
Famed Member
Posted by: Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

Gentlemen,

Chokes are only part of the game when setting up a good pattern to kill birds.  The shells you use in your gun can make a big difference in your gunning, especially wild birds.  When RST and Poly came out with the 2 1/2" SpredR shells they supplied to us Classic American and German Best Gun owners something even better than screw in chokes.  Not only are they nice soft shooting shells, they open a killing pattern to more than the original chokes, on the older double gun.  The shells you use can help determine the killing pattern of your double gun as much as the chokes in your gun.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

While spreader shells can and do open a pattern, in no way do they do it as well or refined as a quality choke tube.

Think about it. The modifications to a spreader load are made to disrupt the pattern, and cause  things like flyers. They are, in most scenarios,  going to be inconsistent. 

But if you want to open a pattern, I've found the reclaimed shot, or just plain low antimony lead pellets will do so as well. 

This post was modified 6 months ago by 3 Shots are Better
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 28, 2019 12:21 pm
Lee Sykes liked
 Anonymous

If you ever pattern your guns/chokes, I"m sure your ideas about chokes will change...  Not talking to anyone in particular.  We order some high end chokes, test pattern and sent them right back.  Holes all over the place.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 28, 2019 8:42 pm
1100 Remington Man
(@stoy)
Trusted Member

My take on choke tubes is there is no magic in them.  I have 9 different constrictions in 12ga and have tried them all on the Trap range to uplands.   What I don’t like about choke tubes is the plastic build up in them in as little as 100 shots on the Trap field. 

Choke tubes to allow one to change based on the conditions when out hunting but I have not changed a choke tube in the field in ten years. 

If I ever buy a 11-87 F Grade from Remington for Hunting one 26 inch barrel fixed Imp choke, 28 inch Mod choke, and 30 inch Full choke.     

These are the chokes I use the most Imp,Mod and yes Full all the ones in between the improvement lies in your mind. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 20, 2019 12:19 pm
thornton
(@thornton)
Noble Member

For pheasants, I prefer a fixed modified choke, in a barrel that has not been cleaned.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2019 3:33 pm
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member

Sk1 and sk2 or something like .007 and 014 have made me exclaim more than once...”that wasn’t supposed to happen”.

But I haven’t hunted truly wild pheasants.

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2019 4:53 pm
 Anonymous

Hunted pheasant and quail over 60 years using mostly 20 gun with improved and modified ..  Mostly over pointed dogs, my guess most shots were well within 30 ft. quail some what closer.  Used six shot for pheasant, if we got into a covey then I switch to 8 shot.

Still pondering about purchasing several new puppies.  Long Tails out of South Carolina.  Perhaps one of my pups is going to breed this summer, we'll see ....  Danke.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2019 11:36 am
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Honorable Member

I shoot .000 x .005 in my 16, well into November/December.  I hunt over a pointing dog, and  almost never see shots longer than 30 yards...90 feet.

If I go west, or hunt pheasant late, I'll step that up to either .005 or .010 right and .015 left.  Works wonderfully.  It really is that easy...

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2019 12:05 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Honorable Member

Gary's got this right, as well:

But if you want to open a pattern, I've found the reclaimed shot, or just plain low antimony lead pellets will do so as well.

Inexpensive shells do the trick nicely.

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2019 12:06 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Gentlemen,

Having screw in chokes is definitely a nice option.  My modern 28 gauge L.C. Smith made by Zabala in Spain shoots extremely tight patters with the M/F chokes that came in the gun, being able to purchase the Beretta 28 gauge array of chokes made the gun a great Grouse gun.  I use the IC & M chokes to achieve fantastic patterns for downing Grouse and Woodcock with both the B&P and Fiocchi shells.  

Later in the season when all the leaves are off the trees I use the Poly SpredR's which throw a great pattern inside 30 yards for downing Grouse & Woodcock.  I found long ago that a pattern for breaking clays and a pattern for killing Grouse & Woodcock is not always the same.  It all depends on the gun and what shells are being used, along with the different chokes, how a particular gun will pattern.  If the Beretta screw in multi chokes for the modern 28 gauge L.C. Smith gun hadn't been available, it would not be as fine a Grouse & Woodcock gun as it is. 

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Penny with the modern L.C. Smith 28 gauge double gun and one of her many Grouse.

[img] [/img]

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2019 4:43 pm
 Anonymous
Posted by: @thornton

For pheasants, I prefer a fixed modified choke, in a barrel that has not been cleaned.

I don't understand the cleaned barrel thing??????  

Your graphic is blurred cannot make what it is?????

John mcg?  what line of Setter is pictured.???

This post was modified 2 months ago by
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2019 5:08 pm
thornton
(@thornton)
Noble Member
Posted by: @junnie

Perhaps, I like the bit more constriction that a dirty barrel delivers.

No, the "graphic" is not blurred.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2019 5:11 pm
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member

John mcg?  what line of Setter is pictured.???

Tucker is a Llewellin Setter out of Little River Kennel in NH. He is almost 13 now--and the kennel lines are different, but produce good dogs.

Pedigree

This post was modified 2 months ago by john mcg

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2019 5:24 pm
 Anonymous

Perhaps, I like the bit more constriction that a dirty barrel delivers.

No, the "graphic" is not blurred.

So, a dirty barrel makes the gun shoot tighter groups??? 

Your graphic looks like a piece of dried up leather, can't make it out.  Does it mean something?  or just nothing?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2019 8:02 am
john mcg liked
thornton
(@thornton)
Noble Member

First question...Yes, on message boards.

Second question...it's the arm of a barcalounger, seemed somehow appropriate therefore, it means something.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2019 8:53 am
Page 2 / 3

Share: