American Arms O/U 24 & 36 Gauge guns.  

RSS
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Gentlemen,   

I have always wanted a LeFever 24 gauge double gun, however I know I will probably never acquire one.  I was wondering about the quality of the American Arms gun that both the 24 & 36 gauge barrels fit on.  Although this is a Box Lock O/U gun, I believe made in Italy, I do not know very much about the company who manufactures the gun.  

Is this modern gun worth owning, or is the quality of the gun prohibitive?   Some advise would be nice.  Anybody have any personal experience with American Arms Guns.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

This topic was modified 1 month ago by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
This topic was modified 4 weeks ago by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
Posted : August 19, 2019 11:51 am
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Estimable Member

Why would you even want one?  You already have a 28.  I doubt that the factory ammo for the 24 gauge will outperform that made for the 28. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2019 12:42 pm
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member
  • Dave, American Arms shotguns were made in Italy. They were a medium quality. They came in 24, 28, 32, 36,  and 410 and as I recall.
  • About the only place you could get any ammunition was from Fiocchi.  And not much variety there either.

"Chemists make good solutions" 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 26, 2019 8:21 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Lee Sykes,

It is not a matter of performance, I would like to own both the 24 and 36 gauge guns to Grouse and Woodcock hunt with, I have been looking at the more expensive guns however for what I am going to use them for, and for and as little time as they will be used,  I was looking into the medium quality/cost combo gun made by American Arms at one time.  I am concerned about the quality of the gun however.

Still have not decided which way to go with this gun purchase.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 4 weeks ago 3 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 28, 2019 7:35 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Honorable Member

A 28 gauge is the smallest I would employ on grouse unless I were truly an expert shot.

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 28, 2019 8:53 pm
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Estimable Member

The loads available for the 24 gauge are only 11/16 oz. .

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 28, 2019 11:38 pm
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member

I used to shoot dragonflies over my pond with a 9mm Flobert.

That was an exercise.

The 44xl hammergun wasnt durable enough to keep.

I think for most people, the general quality of the American Arms is high enough for regular use.

They are a bit plain however.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 30, 2019 8:21 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Greg T,

Thank you sir for your quality opinion on the American Arms Company 24 & 36 gauge shotguns.  My understanding is that the guns were made in Italy, by a respectable gun maker, at a medium grade gun quality.   Do you have any more information as to the over all quality of these particular guns?  Long ago I actually shot a round with one of the American Arms O/U 20 gauge guns, my memory of the gun was that it was very similar to the Browning Citori, infant it handled very similarly.  Would this be a fair comparison as to quality, or is the Browning Citori way above it?  I only got to shoot one round with the 20 gauge American Arms Gun.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

This is a Silver Reserve II combo gun I picked up a while back, it being a medium grade Turkish gun.  As I remember that American Arms gun was a higher medium grade than the modern Turkish guns.  

[img] [/img]

This post was modified 3 weeks ago 4 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : September 4, 2019 3:27 pm
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member

Dave,  Medium quality in an Italian O/U, means mono block barrels, Simple Engraving, strsight grained wood,  heavy for gauge, and dependable single trigger.

As I recall, the 20, I think, was called the American Arms Derby, (Larry will know) and if I recall correctly,  my friends 32 gauge, was called something else. But, they were substantially similar, and the 32 gauge definitely had  Barrels that were built to the gun as opposed to a Citori, which uses 20 gauge barrels bored out to only 28 gauge, to create a very heavy 28 gauge. So in terms of comparison, I would say that the Citori action is more dependable, but also because of the way that they arrive at their sub gauges, is more a target gun then an Upland gun.

I think the importers were in FL.

Not that it matters, but I don’t ever recall anybody ever saying that they got one that was bad, unlike some of the Turkish varietals.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 4, 2019 5:38 pm
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Estimable Member

The derby was a side by side boxlock .  Built by erbi.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 5, 2019 2:08 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Gentlemen,

Thanks much I appreciate the knowledge.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 5, 2019 4:09 pm

Share: