2" Spreaders  

Page 2 / 2 Prev
  RSS
Geoff Roznak
(@geoff-roznak)
Estimable Member

I sure would like to see a couple pictures of the gun.

I wonder what happened to my old signature line?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 3, 2018 10:48 pm
Superposed
(@superposed)
Eminent Member

I'd like to see it as well. I'll bet it would be a dream to carry in the grouse woods especially with the chokes opened up. I think I would go SK1 and SK2. I was trying to come up with a budget version of this gun when I had the little French 16ga I mentioned in the other post opened up from full and full. It has 27 inch swamped rib barrels and probably weighs about the same as this 2 inch 12ga.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 3, 2018 11:35 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Gentlemen,

I have to admit most all off the self double guns here in the USA were supplied with M/F choked barrels.  I am wondering if the 2" Chambered Brit guns were produced and sold with full and full chokes for some reason.  The old slow burning powders during that gun making era with the 2" chambered gun, may have been the reason for the F/F chokes.  With the advent of our Nitro powders today, I would try some SpredR's in the 2" chambered guns and see how they pattern for Grouse and Woodcock hunting before I would have the chokes opened up.  The 2" chambered light 12 might be one heck of a Grouse and Woodcock gun without modification.  This maybe what Louis is trying to due.  

Louis I would contact Poly or RST and see if they can have 2" SpredR shells made up for your gun.  They very well may do it for you, the cost might be high however.

Dave B. - L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 2 weeks  ago 2 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 4, 2018 1:10 pm
Geoff Roznak
(@geoff-roznak)
Estimable Member
Posted by: Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

Gentlemen,

I have to admit most all off the self double guns here in the USA were supplied with M/F choked barrels.  

I assume you're talking about old guns?

Modern guns - since about the 60s, maybe earlier - are at least as likely to be IMP/MOD as MOD/FULL.

Not many people were silly enough to try to hunt grouse with tight chokes...even back in the not so "good old days" .

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 4, 2018 10:36 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Gentlemen,

Even today the majority of double guns you see being resold off the shelf are choked M/F.  Up until the change over to Nitro type powders double gun we're sold off the shelf choked M/F due to the slow burning powders and the patterns they threw.   We Grouse hunted with those guns till around 1972, or had the chokes opened up.  Now with the SpredR loads many of the Grouse hunters are using their Grandfathers double guns once again.

Multi choked guns and Nitro type powders then changed the game.  However because of the resale of the nice old American classic double guns today, there are sill lots of guns for sale, choked M/F that can be used with the new SpredR shells to hunt Grouse, Woodcock and Pheasant.  L.C. Smith, Parker, Fox, Ithaca and many others sold a lot of double guns and most were choked M/F for the general public in all kinds of store fronts.

The American classics that were sold with C/IC or any thing like it for hunting birds, were usually special ordered from the manufacturers, or the chokes were opened by a good gun maker for the owner, in the golden era of double gun making. Multi Screw in flush mounted chokes for hunting and clay shooting have not been around all that long.

Dave B. - L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 1 week  ago 3 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 7, 2018 3:07 pm
Geoff Roznak
(@geoff-roznak)
Estimable Member

Interesting.  You don't see many MOD/FULL guns here.  But this is grouse country.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 7, 2018 8:39 pm
thornton
(@thornton)
Noble Member

When his portion of the central Appalachians were actual ruffed grouse country, GBE used a 28" 12 gauge M - F for years and years....weighed north of 7 1/2#, as I recall. I suspect, at times, that combo worked fine and less fine, hence his choke change after 30 years or so.

Sadly, I can't help but imagine that David is correct-ish......very early scatterguns were often purposely choked tighter for more duties than the comparably new go-to event of sport hunting for ruffed grouse with birddogs. Wasn't Foster's somewhat quoted in grouse lore "little gun" choked tight and tight?

My 1916 fox was originally M -F until some later fiddler nicely opened 'er up. No question that less choke is swell in reality and in confidence but, in older days of shotshell designs, wad columns and shot and with the need for other duties and other food beyond woodcock, saw tighter chokes not so unusual.

SpreadRs work ok, at times.....just like the choke combo of M - F in the grouse woods. 

I do find it amazing re "special order" scatterguns.....some simply look like tarted up hardware guns. You would think the gun outfits would do a better job outside the choke requests.

This post was modified 1 week  ago 4 times by thornton
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 8, 2018 9:30 am
Geoff Roznak
(@geoff-roznak)
Estimable Member

A lot of the reasons for tight chokes was poor quality shells.

Paper wads that sat behind the pellets, soft pellets, inconsistent powder...

Most of that is behind us, and since about the 70s, guns shoot more like what they are supposed to and are not compensating for a poor component.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 8, 2018 12:51 pm
Page 2 / 2 Prev
Share: