PROJECT UPLAND MAGA...

Notifications

PROJECT UPLAND MAGAZINE:  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Crazy Horse RVN
(@crazy-horse-rvn)
Estimable Member

I recently subscribed to Project Upland Magazine. Bold photos and short interesting articles. I don't know how successful this magazine will be, but it is interesting. The current issue has an article comparing an original Fox A Grade  to a "New" Savage Fox A Grad gun. 

I would add that there is no comparison between the two guns, but that's just me. ( I'm biased, as I own a Fox Sterlingworth, 16 gauge Philly gun (# 355xxx). It was my wife's Grandfather's gun. I had the bores opened up to IC and Mod, as well as the forcing cones elongated and a new butt stock to my dimensions because of a crack that couldn't be repaired. It's one of the 2 guns I shoot best. I know that I ruined it's collector's value, but it's a shooter and not a closet queen. Fox guns were intended to be shot!!!

Has anyone else subscribe to this publication?

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.

Posted : July 27, 2019 8:06 am
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Crazy Horse RVN,

I have been reading the on line magazine and find it very interesting.  Like yourself I do not know how long it will actually last, however I like it.

Found the article about the Fox guns interesting, traded my 16 gauge Fox original on an L.C. Smith, both are great guns.  I like the Fox but the side lock gun from L.C. Smith is were my real interest lies.

I agree the the modern remake is a completely different Fox gun than the original.  If I purchase a modern Fox gun it would be form CSMC, not the Savage version.

Dave B - L. C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 28, 2019 1:02 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Crazy Horse RVN,

Did you ever get your subscription?  What is the hard copy like?  I passed on it so far, having only 4 issues a year it seemed a little pricy.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 12, 2019 1:15 pm
Crazy Horse RVN
(@crazy-horse-rvn)
Estimable Member

Dave:

Yes, I received my first copy (summer) a couple of weeks ago. It's a good magazine but the articles are somewhat short. Great photos.  I'm hoping the magazine doesn't turn into a advertising platform for the high end preserves, 5 star plantations, and  South American slaughter houses. So far it's pretty good. Nice article on Huns.

This magazine favors Upland game and that's a very limited market. Deer and Turkey are where the money is at so these guys have a long row to hoe. I hope they succeed.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 12, 2019 2:11 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Crazy Horse RVN,

Finally ordered a 2 year subscription to give the Project Upland Hunting Magazine a try, if it's good I will reorder when the time comes.  Liked some of the articles I read in the on line version they e-mailed me.

I hope they do not turn the Project Upland Magazine into another Upland Journal, I do wish the Grouse Almanac was still around instead.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 6 months ago 2 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 16, 2019 12:13 am
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Crazy Horse RVN,

Just received my fall 2019 Project Upland Magazine yesterday.  Real nice magazine with some different writers.

Lots of good articles, I really liked the Making of a Bird Hunter by Joel Penkala, a nice article about father and son hunters for sure.  Craig and Lisa Trottier have a nice article about Lisa becoming a serious hunter, titled Love Conquers All.  Erin Woodward has a nice article about his Grand Father titled Shadow of a Man.  Take time to read them!   

For those who have not subscribed to Project Upland, IMO it's worth the subscription money!  This is an upland hunting magazine, definitely not a Clays Magazine.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

This post was modified 4 months ago by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2019 2:01 pm
dam16sxs liked
SXS Ohio
(@big-k)
Eminent Member

I am a charter subscriber....like it a lot. I also get their e-mail blog and its good too. I plan to write a article for them with pictures of our Kansas wild bird hunt that we head out on this Friday coming...(-:  This year we will be staying in the Hotels bunk house, with 4 bedrooms, kitchen and Livingroom. It will also be the first year for my partners young boy Ben who is 10. I gave him a Fox SW 20 gauge about a year ago and his dad has him shooting real good. He has burned lots of powder and he gunned  his two youth roosters this past opener her in Ohio.  SXS Ohio

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2019 7:31 am
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

SXS  Ohio,

Big K hope all is well in Ohio, I am still recovering from my open heart surgery, having good days and bad.  Looking forward to next years Grouse & Woodcock season.  I hope we can make it to the UP together and do a little Grouse & Woodcock hunting.

Glad you gave the youngster a nice double gun and that he is doing well with it, ask them if they would like to come to the UP with us.  I would really like to have a youngster in our family learning to Grouse hunt with us, unfortunately we have none right now.  

Made the final payment to Wyssfiresidesetters on the new Ryman Setter pup, her father and mother are serious WI Grouse dogs, and they are both beautiful animals.  Looking forward to having the pup shipped home here to Pa.

Give Ruby a pat on the head for me!  Shadow our new Gordon pup is doing well.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

The making of a Grouse hunter, a day to remember.

[img] [/img]

This post was modified 2 months ago 3 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : December 28, 2019 8:24 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Crazy Horse RVN,

Just watched  Joe Penkala from the Project Upland Magazine doing a video on good double AYA guns.  Real glad to see some of the men around 30 years old getting back into good SXS double guns, and traditional Grouse hunting.  He bought himself a real nice AYA #2 gun and was out Grouse and Woodcock hunting with it, giving a talk on traditional Grouse hunting and how he likes it.

Being raised with good SXS double guns myself it was hard for me to associate with the statement that he knew he would have to give up hitting some of the wild birds for a while, as he learned how to use the good AYA double gun.

This is no doubt how many of the younger generation upland hunters think, because most of them grew up using stack barrel or single plane pup, or semi-auto guns to hunt Pheasant and Quail.   He points out that it is tradition to use a SXS double gun when hunting Grouse and Woodcock in the forest.  Joe Penkala has a nice new AYA #2 gun and he goes into detail about how the guns are hand made.  I have to admit they are real nice modern guns.

Take a look at the video Joe does a good job with it, would not mind adding a AYA double gun to my bird gun collection.  I am sure not giving up any of my fine L.C. Smith or J.P. Sauer double guns to acquire one however. 

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

Man can never own too many fine double guns, Grouse Dogs or Bamboo Fly Rods.

[img] [/img]

This post was modified 5 days ago 6 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : February 17, 2020 4:27 pm
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

Tradition is constantly changing...If it were not so, you'd still be shooting a black powder muzzle loader flint lock.

I find it interesting in thumbing through the monthly issues of the British Shooting Gazette magazine that by far the majority of the shotguns shown in the photos they always run of different shoots are over/unders. Yet, no one defended the choice of a SxS more staunchly than the older Brits.

I've never competed in either trap or skeet, but, as is true with sporting clays at any level, I imagine that mostly SxS guns were used in such shooting until the fairly recent past.

Times change.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 17, 2020 4:40 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Moonshine,

While it is true technology changes tradition at different times, we still use our SXS Hammer Guns quite often to hunt Grouse.  I do use my O/U guns when shooting clays, however I use my SXS double guns to hunt Grouse and Woodcock.  Most times Pheasant, Quail and Ducks also.  It's not how many birds you shoot it's how you shoot the birds.  

In reality I think this is a generational hunting tradition in most cases.  My brother is just 3 years younger than me and he is a big O/U shooter, hunting or clays.  My nephew however went back to the double gun for his bird hunting, he is in his 30's.  He seldom shoots clays and likes the SXS double gun in the field and forest.

GBE wrote some good books on his Grouse & Woodcock hunting, he used a 12 Gauge Purdey and Fox SXS most of the time.  He started out with the gun his father hand given him, a 20 Gauge Sterlingworth, until he found that he was winging a lot of Grouse, rather than killing them out right.  He traded that gun for the 12 gauge Fox, eventually had the stock custom made for his shooting needs.  His good friend Dr Norris who wrote Eastern Upland Shooting, left him the fine Purdey 12 gauge, that he finally had the stock custom fit for his Grouse hunting. Fortunately for GBE he grew up in an era that had a large Grouse population.  I was lucky myself to Grouse hunt from the 50's thru the 80's when Potter County, Pa still had a great Grouse population.  

My Grandfather who grew up in GBE's fathers generation never used and O/U gun.  GBE's father never did either, both men used 12 gauge SXS double guns to hunt Grouse.  We were taught that while hunting Grouse & Woodcock a man should have a certain respect for God's greatest game birds.  Using certain double guns was part of that respect. The ethics of shooting flying and only letting your dog work a Grouse or Woodcock 2 times in any given day was another part of that tradition.  Never shooting in a covert that had less than 4 birds, so there was always seed stock to replenish God's birds was also part of our ethics and tradition.   GBE wrote about a lot of this in his books, GBE was not quite as strict as my Grandfather about how many bird were killed, or how often he returned to his coverts.  He did adhere to how many Grouse had to be in a covert before he took birds from it.  GBE never saw a large Grouse covert until he hunted in Potter County, Pa with my Grandfather.  The largest Covert GBE had ever seen until that time, was about 8 birds.  

My Grandfather introduced GBE to a 30 bird Covert in our mountains and ask GBE not to write about it in any of his books.  GBE kept his word and never wrote about his incredible time in Potter County, Pa hunting Grouse.  About 5 years ago I introduced my good friend Ken Graft to the same Grouse covert, and he took a big Grouse from that very same 30 bird Covert.  Coverts this size are seldom seen in modern times, of course they come and go as to numbers, however we still have a few of these big coverts in Potter County.  Ken shoots a SXS double gun, on this particular day a Parker 16 gauge.  My buddy Harold Bowman has seen this particular large Grouse covert more than 5 times during his life time, I have seen it even more than that, and have never shot a Grouse from that covert with a 12 gauge gun.  Most of the time I carry an L.C. Smith 16 or 20 gauge SXS double gun when hunting that particular mountain, some times a Hammer Gun.  My Great Grandfathers family traditions have been passed down thru the family for many generations, most of us use SXS double guns while hunting birds, especially Grouse and Woodcock.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

Harold Bowman with both our double guns playing with Daisy as she delivers a nice Grouse form that large covert.

[img] [/img]

This post was modified 5 days ago 5 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : February 18, 2020 12:27 pm
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

Dave, you just wrote 900 words of family history, hunting, guns, and PA grouse.

I don't care a damn about any of it.

'

This post was modified 5 days ago by Moonshine
ReplyQuote
Posted : February 18, 2020 1:51 pm
thornton
(@thornton)
Noble Member

My great-uncle taught Kay Evans to roller skate. GBE tried to learn but the noise of the wheels bothered him. However, that gave George more time to hunt game birds and....the rest is history.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 18, 2020 2:12 pm
Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
(@dave-buehner)
Famed Member

Moonshine,

I do not care what you are interested in, I try to keep a nice conversation going to help support the SSBB.  I keep reminding you this is the SSBB.  If you do not like talking about, People, Guns, Dogs & places find another BB where you can participate in the things that interest you.

thornton,

Kay was one of my favorite people, just about any time GBE hunted she was along with her camera.  Never knew GBE tried to learn how to roller skate!

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

GBE and Ruff long ago outside my Grandfathers front door.

[img] [/img]

This post was modified 5 days ago 2 times by Dave B - L.C. Smith Man
ReplyQuote
Posted : February 18, 2020 2:48 pm
thornton
(@thornton)
Noble Member

Not many were close enough to the couple to know about the roller skating, David. They were very private people.

Nice photo, those look like the boots my second cousin's uncle made for George...but, to be honest, they might not be the same pair. So hard to tell from that angle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 18, 2020 3:00 pm
Page 1 / 2

Share: