Could I have a cup of caffeine please?????? 🙄 🙄 🙄  

Once a man, twice a child....

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 1, 2018 10:33 am
Shuck M.
(@shuck-m)
Trusted Member
Posted by: Junnie

Been handling fly rods since about eight years old. Have many of all weights and lengths...  My favorite is 11 foot nymph rod. Absolutely magic in  my hand....  Mostly fish for large mouth bass and a variety of pan fish.

Catching a 3 pound bass on a number 3 or 4 weight rod is fantastic... very exciting.  especially when the fish comes out of the water number of times...  more fun then you can shake a stick at...  have a joke about that, will post some time soon.

Three wt on the left of our panfish/smallmouth rig below. Older photo.

I once built a 3 wt with a nice sage blank. Nice nickel seat. I then broke the tip - and now use the bottom half to retrieve items stuck behind or between the washer and dryer. Perfect size and action for socks.  

Edit: photo url didn't post correctly

This post was modified 2 months ago by Shuck M.
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 1, 2018 11:15 am
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

My first fly rod was:  Shakespere Wonder Rod.  Bass rod, caught bucco bass with it over the years....  Don't know the weight, perhaps a 4 about 8foot.  threw bass poppers, usually fished small farm ponds, walking along the shore line, casting down the line.  Hopefully will teach my Grandson next year.  Anyone remember Brad Pitt .... River Runs Thru it.   Something like that.  Father teaches his sons how to handle a fly rod.   Generally speaking and watching others, most false cast way to much.  Years ago it was mandatory to dry the line to keep it floating.  Now these new floating lines are fantastic, float all day.

Perhaps if the weather warms up, I'll go fishing...  nothing like a October day fishing for bass. 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 1, 2018 3:37 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Reputable Member

My first fly rod was a Scientific Angler's 5/6 wt.  Worked well on bass, a little heavy for NW WI trout, but it's what got me started.

Still have it, it's a good rod for teaching others.

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2018 9:42 am
SxS Shooter
(@sxs-shooter)
Illustrious Member

I've caught a lot of smallies on they fly while floating down the St Croix where the kettle river comes in.  Any muskies left in WI? Over the past 10 years the Indians have speared them all out of Bone Lake & Deer Lake in Polk co.... 

This post was modified 2 months ago by SxS Shooter

Ever get the feeling that you've been cheated?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2018 4:06 pm
Shuck M.
(@shuck-m)
Trusted Member

Fly rod stories - good stuff.

My first salt water fly rod was a no name fiberglass rod from the early 80s.  A 10 wt, it had to be 11' long and had the heft and action of a flagpole. But it got me on the water, and I soon marveled at how far rods had advanced in that era.

In the 90s you could wear your thumb out catching schoolies and the occasional keeper bass from shore. Since then, the gray seals have decimated the stripers. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2018 5:20 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Reputable Member
Posted by: SxS Shooter

I've caught a lot of smallies on they fly while floating down the St Croix where the kettle river comes in.

I've fished that same stretch, but for musky in late October.  Missed a biiiiig girl because I blew the strip set.

Posted by: SxS Shooter

Any muskies left in WI? Over the past 10 years the Indians have speared them all out of Bone Lake & Deer Lake in Polk co.... 

There sure are.  Last year was good to me, well into double digits, I'm stuck at six this year as some complications got in the way of the best part of the season...and I don't seem to be able to catch anything bigger than 3 ft. long.

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2018 7:49 pm
Superposed
(@superposed)
Eminent Member

My biggest problem with guns and fly rods is that I like 'em all! That said I usually fish with a modern graphite rod but I prefer vintage guns in the uplands. In recent years I've used SxS's almost exclusively. No real reason other than just personal preference.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 3, 2018 11:17 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Reputable Member
Posted by: Superposed

My biggest problem with guns and fly rods is that I like 'em all! That said I usually fish with a modern graphite rod but I prefer vintage guns in the uplands. In recent years I've used SxS's almost exclusively. No real reason other than just personal preference.

That's the only reason that matters.

I've been a SxS shooter since the early 80s, worked my way through bunches of them until I figured out what I liked and stuck with it.

The real challenge was finding a SxS for clays, but it was a fun trip.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 4, 2018 10:24 pm
Shuck M.
(@shuck-m)
Trusted Member
Posted by: Geoff Roznak

So what did you find? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 5, 2018 10:24 am
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Reputable Member
Posted by: Shuck M.
Posted by: Geoff Roznak

So what did you find? 

I went though a few:

1. A Fox AE, pigeon gun, 30" barrels, choked tighter than should have worked well (.040 & .048)...but it shot where I looked.  Weighed 8 lbs., 6 bounces, but still handled fast.   That one let me down when the forend broke at the Yoopshoot.
  2. Thomas Wild hammer gun, made in the 1920s.  Chokes were better, and I shot it well, but I lost faith in it when the head of the stock developed cracks.
  3. An AyA model 53 is what I shoot at clays these days, it's a heavy proof, 3" gun (no, I don't shoot those abominations), 8 lbs. even, and like the Fox fast handling, very neutral balance.  It's marked that it's choked IMP/MOD, but I've never checked it because I shoot it well enough that chokes don't matter.  It's also a single non-selective trigger gun.

This is probably the best useful picture I have of the AyA:

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 6, 2018 9:21 pm
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

I have thousands of regrets, one of them:  Passed up on some bamboo fly rods at a garage sale about 30 years ago, dirt cheap.  At the time I didn't like 4 piece rods, still not my favorite...  Although my nymph rod is a four piece....  If you ever get a chance to pick up a Sage Nymph rod please give it a go...  Can throw a nats ass 60 ft. or more....  in a 30 mile head wind....   😛 

October Nebraska is cold and wet, hoping for some nice indian summer days, my favorite time of year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 8, 2018 4:42 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Reputable Member

If you ever get a chance to pick up a Sage Nymph rod please give it a go...  Can throw a nats ass 60 ft. or more....  in a 30 mile head wind....  

Your comment reminds me of one of the funniest fly-fishing moments I've witnessed: There was a brief flurry of interest in furled leaders around here a few years back...and one of the guys, for some reason, got it into his head that a furled leader made from what us gear chuckers know as "superbraid" would make a good leader...anyway, he put one together, and brought it to the river to show us

One of the other guys grabbed the rod, looked it over...it looked really cool, made from red 10# PowerPro...tied on a fly and gave it a fling...as you might expect the thing hit the ground in a pile.

The guy who'd tested it handed back the rod, and said, "It sure is pretty, but it wouldn't turn over a helium atom.", and went back to fishing.

October Nebraska is cold and wet, hoping for some nice indian summer days, my favorite time of year.

If it helps any, it's cold and wet here too...has rained every day for more than a week...odd weather for here, this time of year. Normally dry and clear.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Further North

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 9, 2018 11:42 pm
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

Yes:  piss poor October.   Rain, rain and more rain and cold...  I love those Indian Summer days. NONE>

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2018 4:42 pm
mrgrtt123
(@mrgrtt123)

Pardon me for being an intruder on your post as I am newbie. I am looking forward to learning and gaining new friends here, aside from my beagle who's currently undergoing behavioral training using dog shock collars due to excessive barking issue. 

This post was modified 2 months ago 13 times by mrgrtt123
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2018 8:36 pm
Page 3 / 4 Prev Next
Share: