For the love of Chi...

For the love of Chicken soup  

Page 3 / 4
  RSS
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

I like the Bullshot soup...  except the oxtail ingredients, no way.....  

Sauerkraut Soup we would call:  Somstag Soupe.   Saturday Soup.

This post was modified 3 months ago by Junnie

Once a man, twice a child....

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 18, 2019 11:20 am
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member
Posted by: Junnie

I like the Bullshot soup...  except the oxtail ingredients, no way.

Two responses -

To each, his own...

If you haven’t tried it, don’t knock it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 18, 2019 12:14 pm
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

anyone have recipe for vegetable soup using hamburger in lieu of beef roast etc.???????

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 19, 2019 3:36 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Honorable Member
Posted by: Moonshine

I like the Bullshot soup...  except the oxtail ingredients, no way.

Two responses -

To each, his own...

If you haven’t tried it, don’t knock it.

No kidding.  Oxtail is great.

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 19, 2019 11:13 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Honorable Member

anyone have recipe for vegetable soup using hamburger in lieu of beef roast etc.???????

Wouldn't it just a 1:1 swap by weight burger for roast beast?

...I'd brown the 'burger first, and I'd be on the fence about dumping what cooked out of the 'burger in the soup.  It'd add flavor...but not sure I want to eat it at this point in my life.

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 19, 2019 11:15 pm
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member

I just saw this recipe on TV the other night.

They made miniature meatballs with a 50-50 mixture of beef and pork. They mix the typical spaces for beef and pork i.e.. Garlic and thyme, into the ground meat, and then made little meatballs about the size of a marble and browned them in a frying pan. 

They floated them in the soup broth already cooked essentially. I think that’s to make them stick together in the broth.

Rather than buying ground beef, you’ll find that buying a English blade roast or chuck roast, when they’re on sale at a place like Aldie’s, and then ground to suit when you need ground beef, tastes better and is healthier, and you can control how much fat is in the ground meat that you eat.

I use just a hand crank grinder on the counter.  

I just hate the constant bad news reports of bad stuff being transmitted by commercially ground ground beef.

So I quit buying it.

"Chemists make good solutions" 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2019 9:40 am
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

Thanks for the recipe.  Yes, I've made ox tail soup .....  I can't give it a positive yes.   Very greasy.  Perhaps the can version is not so greasy, I very seldom eat process foods....  

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2019 5:27 pm
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Trusted Member

Chicken soup is okay. Hardly a treat.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2019 5:40 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Honorable Member
Posted by: Greg T.

I just hate the constant bad news reports of bad stuff being transmitted by commercially ground ground beef.

So I quit buying it.

Good choice.

Even when it's decent quality, it's not good for you.  What you're doing is much, much better.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2019 7:48 pm
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Honorable Member

We be makin' chicken soup tonight.

It'll be a treat.

My wife is a soup genius.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2019 7:49 pm
thornton
(@thornton)
Noble Member

The quest for best never rests.

Right now, I am researching thumbtacks....pointed tests of the contenders will soon follow.

This post was modified 3 months ago by thornton
ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2019 12:55 pm
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

The BEST soup, per se, does not exist. As beauty is in the eye of the beholder, soup is in the taste buds of the diner.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2019 6:08 pm
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member

When I was younger, I was expected to work outdoors no matter what the temperature.

I can tell you that there were days when working outside at 20 below zero, that the cold slowly sinks into your body. On those days, a bowl of hot soup even if no more than flavored bouillon was unbelievably delicious, and sorely welcome.

So yes, the beauty really is in the tastebuds of the beholder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 22, 2019 9:14 am
Lee Sykes liked
Junnie
(@junnie)
Famed Member

20 below is damn cold, it was 1 below the other night, I thought that was cold, just can't imagine in a war trying to stay warm let alone shoot a rifle, dig a trench line etc.   

I can tell you one thing for sure, I was USMC 5th Marines Vietnam 1966,   I would never made it, on the Russian Front or Korea.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 22, 2019 1:02 pm
Greg T.
(@greg-t)
Famed Member

Not to be overly dramatic but when the cold starts to sink into your face you can’t even speak clearly. Growing a beard becomes a necessity no matter how sparse.

I imagine on the Russian front, people probably just quietly sat there and died.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 22, 2019 3:11 pm
Page 3 / 4

Share: