Bickering  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Admin
(@jeff-dodge)
Member Admin

Please cease the incessant bickering with Dave.  The "Gun Show" and "Bird Condition..." threads

will be shut down unless the name calling stops.  If you can't say something nice about each other,

don't say anything. Those posting just to trigger (a pun) a hateful response are also guilty. This must

STOP.

Admin

Posted : July 29, 2019 8:16 am
 Anonymous

I'll ditto that......  I do think you should have a political forum....  Only thing worth talking about:  Love, War, Women, Politics, and Fancy running dogs with cracking tails... 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2019 8:29 am
Further North
(@geoff-roznak)
Honorable Member

Jeez, no.  Political forums are the death of forums like this.  It quickly degenerates to a place where one group or the other has a majority, then they start dominating discussions and it winds up being all they want to talk about...

I know of one forum, ostensibly a shooting/hunting forum, where 45% of the posts are political, and another, supposedly about fishing, where it's about half.  Both are echo chambers for their particular viewpoint, and incredibly intolerant of views that don't align...

...but hey, if you like that stuff, send me a PM, and I'll shoot you a link for the one that fits how you lean...they're looking for new members because anyone with any sense has bailed out...

"Some people stand tall as great leaders because they elevate all the people around them, some seek to stand tall by pushing all around them down."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2019 9:48 am
Lee Sykes liked
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member
Posted by: @junnie

I'll ditto that......  I do think you should have a political forum....  Only thing worth talking about:  Love, War, Women, Politics, and Fancy running dogs with cracking tails... 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍 

Beg to differ - maturity has shown me differently.

Today's abandonment by formerly major American protestant churches of biblical principles much more interesting to discuss, but neither it nor politics have any place in polite society conversation...no one will yield his position; result: badgering stalemate.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Moonshine
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2019 10:21 am
3 Shots are Better
(@3-shots-are-better)
Famed Member

Admin:

I think it's a good move for you to come on strong, and stop the bickering.

I do think however, that you should be more direct on dealing with this. I think everyone involved with this "bickering" has at one time or another, made an attempt to be friends with Dave and take him under their wing. He does have a lot to offer, but it gets drowned out so many times by his making stuff up, arguing and name calling when he gets  legitimately questioned, and coming off as if he knows more about a subject matter than experts like Tom Roster.  That all leads to bickering.

The result is a Catch 22 where guys have tried to get along with Dave, and don't like to see or be involved with the singling out, picking, and bickering that comes his way. So they try and reach out to him, and before you know it, he throws out something that is largely false, and let's loose with some posts where he digs himself into an even deeper hole. As a result, people find themselves not wanting to get involved much (if at all) here any more. It's really hard to get comfortable posting, largely because of this kind of stuff. 

Again, I truly believe Dave has a lot to offer. He's a dedicated true shooting sportsman in his own right. But he's also his own worst enemy because of   the nature of what he posts. 

This post was modified 2 months ago by 3 Shots are Better
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2019 10:57 am
 Anonymous

How about the Not Board.  They want money to join and B.S.   Hells Bells, I'll discuss politics with my 90 year old neighbor, drink, whine ,   whiskey and good B.S.  

This board was dominated with about six guys at one time, go with them or they gang up.  I guess that's still going on.  

Love, Women, Politics, High cracking tails...  I guess one could take that as sexual.... 😘 😘 😘 😘 🤩 🤩 🤩 🤩 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2019 11:14 am
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

To each his own....

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2019 12:59 pm
Lee Sykes
(@lee-sykes)
Estimable Member

I suppose,  if you (or i) dislike a post or disagree with it's veracity or intent,  we don't have to respond to it at all.  Thus, no bickering ensues.  But we all know that someone, will find it hard to resist..... As surely as dogs at heel, watching a live pigeon shoot.  I'll watch my dog.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2019 1:15 pm
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member

OK--so it comes down to challenging something offered up or ignoring (the silent treatment).

Not sure just how that works out. Grown men ought to be able to call BS or to hear it.

Then again, I'm just a dumb Yankee.

Carry on "Gentlemen".

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2019 2:42 pm
thornton
(@thornton)
Noble Member

Smoke, Mirrors and the Bickering Flame of Truth......might make a good book. 🧐 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2019 3:29 pm
john mcg liked
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member
Posted by: @settertude

OK--so it comes down to challenging something offered up or ignoring (the silent treatment).

Not sure just how that works out. Grown men ought to be able to call BS or to hear it.

Then again, I'm just a dumb Yankee.

Carry on "Gentlemen".

As I'm often told by some close to me, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. There are many ways to let someone you know that you're convinced his utterance(s) are BS without stepping outside the board rules, or good manners. One of the simplest, and it can be very effective, is simply to say, "I don't accept (------) as valid. [or true] or [applicable] etc. Then, you can suggest he look at a different source, or in a different fashion. Or, you can say, "I don't believe [you] [that]. You can also simply say, "You're wrong, look at this". without using invective or rude language.

In one on one conversations, your relationship with the person[s] with whom you're talking will govern tone of voice, what you say, how you phrase it. We all make these adjustments constantly. It's no harder to do it here. Here, to a very great extent, we do not personally know the person to whom we're responding. I'm lucky in that I do know personally several of the frequent participants. My tendency is to speak to them here differently than I do to those I do not know, simply because we do have a personal relationship. That doesn't always mean it's a good one, but one still exists. Tone of voice, sarcasm, sardonicism, and facial expressions just don't register or come across in a blog.

On the NOT board, of which I was a founder, but to which I haven't belonged for quite a while; there were guys I respected, even admired, for a variety of reasons, and, unfortunately, to my regret, a very few with whom I just didn't get along - there was little respect for them on my part, both in posting or when we were together. Our mutual feelings inevitably impacted our conversations with one another.

I don't see it as being much different than being a member of a family, or even the Rotary. Not all relationships are smooth, but they don't have to be rude. Maybe you would tell an uncle or a cousin, or even a sibling whom you don't care for, "BS". But, I can see you and me using a different tone of voice to different ones in that group.

And, yes, I plead guilty to breaking the rules.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2019 6:00 pm
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member
Posted by: @junnie

How about the Not Board.  They want money to join and B.S.   

For the sake of clarity, at least when I belonged to NOT, it came down to the guy who set it up and managed it asking for $$ to cover the costs of the site, etc. I know him quite well. He was not making anything off his efforts, he just got tired of paying all the expenses by himself...and that's very reasonable. I dropped out - being a part of the group was not that important to me. I still communicate and shoot with some of the members.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2019 6:05 pm
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member

Thank you for you thoughts and elucidation.

regardless of digital tone and state of a man’s heart an the intentions commensurate, BS is BS and most folks understand the term and recognize it when presented.

Not being direct and clear to another soul is both an injustice and perhaps cowardly, if one thinks the speaking is important enough to utter to begin with.

Import can be a moving target with context...I concede that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2019 6:37 pm
Moonshine
(@moonshine)
Noble Member

@settertude

I don’t accept that telling someone, “I don’t believe you.” or “You’re wrong.” is not direct. Nor is that cowardly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2019 7:57 pm
john mcg
(@settertude)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @moonshine

@settertude

I don’t accept that telling someone, “I don’t believe you.” or “You’re wrong.” is not direct. Nor is that cowardly.

I suggest this a distinction without a difference.

C’mon, man.

🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2019 9:14 pm
Page 1 / 2

Share: